umm

Tamara C.
on 6/15/06 6:03 am - Highland, CA
Ok....I'm new here but desperately need some help or input from an outsider.....my surgery is supposed to be in about four weeks....i smoke weed daily..alot...for a long time...i've also been drinking alot lately....i think it is from all the anxiety i have about surgery....lately ive been having many second thoughts...im not sure if this is right for me....has anyone else felt this way? i started going through all the pre-op stuff a year ago and have worked very hard to get through it all..before my mind was made up and i was set on surgery...now im really iffy about it...have any of you post ops smoked weed after surgery? and if so how soon after surgery? i guess im going to have to quit but man is it going to be hard....any suggestions?
Lauretta
on 6/15/06 7:37 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hi Tamara, It is kinda hard to make good choices when you are under the influence of mind altering chemicals. Not being critical just honest. I did not smoke weed pre op. Its been a couple of decade! LOL I was addicted to pain pills and diet pills. I also drank. What I have found is that my addiction to meds, alcohol, food, shopping are all part of the same problem. I drank shortly after surgery. It was not pretty. Smoking weed is at least as bad for your lungs pre op as cigarettes and most Dr want smokers to quit. Personally, I joined a 12 step program. I needed help and guidence to stay off the pills and drinking. Everyone is different. I was able to face the fact that I am an addict and despite my best efforts to stop on my own I could not do it long term. I do not know what is right for you. Just some food for thought. I wish you the very best on your journey. Maybe others will have some different suggestions. Laurie
Curious G.
on 6/15/06 12:46 pm - Peachtree City, GA
I didn't drink much pre-op. A bottle of rum could last months and months in my house. What happened however, is that once cleared to drink alcohol after surgery, I completely transferred my food issues to alcohol. I have also smoked mj for years and years - daily - probably ont more post-op however... When I got heavy into drinking however, I didn't smoke nearly as much. My life begun to spiral completely out of control - to the point, where I quit EVERYTHING - cigs, weed, alcohol. I have generalized anxiety disorder and havent been on meds for it in years. It recently became evident that I *NEED* to be on meds for it. I personally don't see mj as a physically addictive substance, but I'm very aware of my compulsive need to self-medicate the anxiety. I want the meds to work, and in order to truly KNOW if they work, I need to not be self medicating in any way. My suggestion - quit now, not AFTER surgery. You are going to have such a hard time adjusting to post-op life as it is. If you are dependent now - even just psychologically, then it's going to be twice as hard when you're dealing with the post-op demons. In my opinion, we did not become MO because we just like our food - there is something we are trying to medicate with food - be it anxiety, insecurity, etc. If alcohol is a problem now, odds are it's going to really throw you for a loop later. If you feel you abuse marijuana now, odds are you are going to REALLY turn to it to quiet that anxiety once food is gone. I'm jsut saying it's easier to deal with one devil at a time, rather than many at once. Will I smoke weed again in the future? Maybe. I'm not sure - I tend to be so compulsive that I don't do any kind of self medication in moderation. Will I drink again in the future? I HOPE TO HELL NOT! AND DO NOT INTED TO! (not so perfect that I don't think it's possible for me to slip - with good support, hopefully I won't) I guess you know where I stand on it LOL I can say with regards to weed or even cigs - that smoke prevents healing of the stomach. I would NOT reccommend smoking anything during the first several months. It can cause ulcers in your pouch, infections and other problems. After that - only YOU can decide if it's out of control for you. Good luck to you and congrats on your upcoming surgery! It's a wild ride - just remember to take care of yourself in all ways and you'll be fine! Big hugs, m
vickiang
on 6/15/06 9:41 pm - Austin, TX
I don't know how, but this really does need to be nipped in the bud pre-op. Even social drinkers or users spiral into addiction post-op, not only because of trying to destress with substance because they have no healthy coping skills, but it is so much easier to smoke and drink than to eat.There'a a lot to say on this subject; we've all been there done that, so you're in one of the right places right now. There are people struggling here and people who are on the path. Personally, I would attend meetings, MA or AA, doing my 90 meetings in 90 days. It wouldn't hurt to be brainwashed in a healthy way, get a postive "addiction" and develop a support and social network with like minded people in your neighborhood. If you can smoke every day, you can sit your butt in the chair every day for an hour. May not be perfect at first. Some people attend a meeting only to beeline it to the bar across the street afterwards, but if you keep suiting up and showing up, something will start to seep in gand you may even have a chance, which is probably better than where you are now. It feels good to feel good. I just posted about how yucky I am feeling. Today. But it's not accompanied by guilt, remorse, self-loathing; it's just life and I'm basically happy with who I am. That's a big difference from letting myself be permiated to the cellular level with pity and remorse, And fear and panic. This too shall pass; there is no longer a big black hole at the end of the tunnel! In fact, there didn't even used to be an end to the tunnel! This is a chance for a new start. As much as I hate to say it, but I would postpone wls until you have a few months sober time under your belt. You definitely want to give yourself a fair shot at success. Vicki
Patricia R.
on 6/15/06 1:31 pm - Perry, MI
Being a recovering alcoholic/addict, I can only urge you to quit now. I could not quit alone, so I went to Alcoholics Anonymous. Narcotics Anonymous is also a good program. They both help you learn new behaviors while developing a relationship with a Higher Power. When you get anxious, try journaling about what is bothering you. Do some deep breathing. Focus on staying clear headed and look forward to the new you that is going to be transformed. Hugs, Trish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views