New to board

steveh
on 6/4/06 11:38 am - San Francisco, CA
Thought I'd introduce myself instead of lurking around out there. I've been clean and sober for 12 years - my drugs of choice were crystal meth and alcohol. Just quit smoking cigarettes on Dec. 31 - after 30 years. I'm pre-op and will have my first consult with the surgeon this Wednesday. Hopefully things will move forward smoothly. Steve
Lauretta
on 6/5/06 3:25 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Welcome Steve! And congratulations on everything. So glad to have new posters. 12 yrs. that is really wonderful. I still smoke. Quit for 14 yr but when I was struggling about the time I joined a 12 step program I started again. I have not found the willingness to quit yet. Best of luck with your Dr appt. My program helps me so much with my post op routine. Another leg of the journey is about to begin for you. I would do it all over again anytime. Life is good. Laurie
steveh
on 6/5/06 10:06 am - San Francisco, CA
Thanks Laurie. I've read a lot of your posts here and the support and information you've provided to so many people is admirable and helpful. Glad this board is here.
Lauretta
on 6/5/06 10:50 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Oh wow thanks Steven. I like this board a lot. For me, I joined a 12 step program shortly after wls. I cannot separate the two because that is when my life turned around. My addiction lead to my obesity and I do not think I would be successful in wls post op with out my recovery so it all works. iT IS NOT EASY BUT IT IS WORTH EVERYTHING! I am hurting a bit today because the person who introduced me to the program is in relapse mode. He has not picked up yet as far as I know but surely you know the signs. I am powerless except to send a prayer. Sometimes I am glad I am 50 yr old because I know what life has to offer and what I have to lose. I am not sure young people have that insight. It makes it harder. Again my best wishes for your wls journey!!!! You men always drop weight faster post op than us gals.LOL Laurie
Curious G.
on 6/5/06 11:39 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Hello and welcome I'm a sometimes lurker - sometimes poster (not so much) who is fighting her ego so hard that she is embarrassed to say her own name some days. You give me great hope. The alcoholics and addicts in my life have never gotten sober. I've found myself becoming everything and everybody I hate and resent. I really look to you guys who have found success as a lifeboat in a huge ocean of doubt. Thank you for coming here and letting us know that it's not all hopeless. How was the smoking cessation? Perhaps I'm ambitious, but I put down the cigs and the booze at the same time. I'm beginning to think it may have been a bad idea, but I have ulcers now from the drinking and smoking, so I figured if I don't WANT to die, I might want to take drastic measures. I quit smoking back in 95 cold turkey - I don't remember it being this hard, but I was still obese then and I'm pretty sure I ate away the pain. Thanks again for coming and I hope your consult goes fabulously! hugs, m
steveh
on 6/6/06 3:07 am - San Francisco, CA
Thanks Michelle. I know this is not typical, but, the smoking cessation for me was incredibly easy. I got a respiratory infection on New Year's Eve and ended up in the ER with a fever of 103.6. I was there for several hours and at some point during that time just decided I was done smoking. Threw out any cigs left in the house when I got home that night. Started wearing patches the next day and did so for about 10 days. On the 11th day I was at work and it was mid-afternoon and I had a craving - suddenly realized I forgot to put on a patch that day. Realizing I'd been through the whole day with just that one moment of craving decided to stop the patches. I am really fortunate (and extremely grateful) that I just don't crave the cigarettes at all. I will get a little triggered at odd moments but it passes in a matter of seconds. All that said, it probably was a good thing that I stopped before wls because I did use food to satisfy those cravings for a couple months. Not so much anymore, but, there was a LOT of candy in the house for a couple months. Good luck to you and stay in touch. Steve
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views