The stall

Brian C.
on 7/22/13 9:13 pm - Slingerlands, NY
RNY on 07/01/13

So I thought I would check in and  look for some advice.  I'm 3 weeks post op and I feel like my weight loss has stalled. I'm down a little over 25 since surgery but in the last 4 days I've lost 1-2.  I am eating about 609 cal a day as instructed and exercising about 30 minutes almost every day. Okay, whining portion of the post now finished! So the question is: can I expect this to break? Is there something I can do to help it break?

Sam LifeNerd
on 7/22/13 11:50 pm

Heh, ok, this "stall" is mental, you "only" lost 1-2 pounds in the past 4 days.  Lets extrapolate this...

So that would be 2-4 pounds per week, 8-16 pounds per month....48 to 96 pounds in the next six months.

3 weeks @ 25 pounds is 8.33 per week, so you are used to losing at twice this rate and I understand the frustration when you see it slow down but you have to remain positive and remember it is all relative.  

IOW, your 'slow' rate is still a LOT of weight dropping off your body.....ok, so enough of why this is really no big deal and I will start giving advice!!

FIRST of all, I weighed daily, sounds like you do too.  We are REBELS!!  :)   They tell us to weigh weekly but personally, for my own mental sanity, if I only weighed ONCE a week and that was my UP day I would really get depressed.  In fact a buddy of mine at the support group had that happen to him last month and he was in a bad mood.

SO, if you DO weigh daily you have MORE information but must be mentally prepared for the UPS and the DOWNs!!  There will be days you actually weigh MORE!!!  In fact every 'big' weight drop for me followed a weight gain of a pound or two!

Consider the amount of water in/out if nothing else!!  The body actually STORES some of that because it has to have it to convert fat to glucose to burn as energy!!  So literally when I saw the scale stall or go up, I assumed I was retaining water to convert fat to energy.  Sure enough, within a week I had a NEW low.

SECOND, Constipation is ALSO an issue here or could be a factor.  If you have missed a day or two or less than normal, you are "storing" up.  My wife fights this constantly and the weight on the scale stops or even goes UP!

THIRD, when you really DO stall (I would define that as no weight loss for a week or TWO...) there is a really good chance you are losing INCHES during that time.  Measure those early and keep track.  I looked at mine about once a month, wife is measuring every 2 weeks.

FINAL thought... you are kicking butt!  

Brian K.
on 7/27/13 10:41 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12

Hey now! Thats a great post!  ^^^^^^^^^^

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
MarkES
on 8/7/13 7:36 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Right on Sam!  You're experience is what I have too... 

Ref Jul 4, 2012,  Orientation Aug 27,  Surgeon Aug 31, RD Sept 18,  SW RD & RN Oct 18, Internist Nov 5, Surgeon Nov 21,  PATTS Nov 29, Surgery Dec 14,2012 (HRRH - Dr Sohi).

Most Active
Labor Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 40 views
Recent Topics
Labor Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 40 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 57 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 105 views