Bad habits starting - need an a$$ kicking!!

ken_405
on 8/14/11 12:32 pm - TX
Hi Guys

Guess I could use an a$$ kicking right about now!!

5 months out after my RNYand I've lost a fair amount of weight so far but now starting to struggle...

After a couple of difficult months post op I'm finally starting to feel I'm getting some strength back, but have plateaued over the past few weeks and this week I even seem to have gained a few pounds. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not eating huge amounts but
I started a new job a few weeks ago and am now finding myself snacking a lot after I get home from work and this is where I need the kick in the a$$... I just can't seem to muster the will power right now.

Does anyone have any tricks they use to stop the snacking?  Would be grateful of any suggestions.

Thanks

Ken.

OneFinger
on 8/14/11 1:59 pm
I'm 10 months post-op and am in the process of relocating to another state (same company - different project). I can really identify with the emotional aspects of snacking for comfort.

I also talked about this with my doc last week. He told me it's fairly normal to snack between meals starting at about the 6 month stage. But, he said the most important thing is to make sure the snacks are healthy. He's encouraging me to do raw vegtables, nuts, or even a protein bar / drink.

I also found that Kroger / Fred Meyer Carbmaster yogurt is a good snack.

I've also tried drinking herbal tea instead of snacking. I've really developed a love for those non-caffine drinks and it's helps keep my fluid intake high.

I think it's a good sign that you're aware of the problems with grazing. But, also realize that the job change is another stressor in your life. Don't beat yourself up if you slip and try to make sure your snacks are healthy.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Don 1962
on 8/14/11 8:49 pm
Dittos to what the Finger said about if you have to snack/graze keep it healthy.  I keep cheese sticks and protein bars in the fridge.  Ok, there are some SF Reese' Miniature PB cups in there too.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Paul C.
on 8/14/11 11:03 pm - Cumming, GA
There is nothing wrong with snacking between meals if you account for them in your daily intake.  I eat as many as 10 times in a single day and the only thing that differs from when I eat 5 times a day is what I eat or how much.

Plan your day out so you have your snacks for the office. Infact put everything together the night before.  Lunch meat and cheese sticks, yogurt stuff like that.

Log your food intake in something like LiveStrong.com so you can see where your numbers are at and where your calories are comming from.  You can also hit the gym and burn off a few of the calories you snack.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Michael P.
on 8/15/11 3:00 am
Hey Ken,  I make sure that I pack a protein shake for the ride home from work and that usually does the trick to tide me over until dinner.  The days that I don't do this I know and am starving for snacks when I get home.  Best thing is that you have realized this and are doing something about it.  Good Luck!

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
Ben H.
on 8/18/11 12:25 am - Austin, TX
 agree with everyone else.  

I have been snacking a lot more lately too.  About 9 months out right now.  We are buying a lot of protien bars, almonds, and nutrigrain cereal bars.  :D 
Dont get too down on yourself.  For men I thin kwe all plateau at around 6 months.  Just dont revert back to your old habits and you will be fine! 

ken_405
on 8/20/11 6:40 am - TX
Thanks guys - definitely appreciate the moral support.

When I first got the post-op info from the dietician at my surgeons office, they said absolutely no snacking and keep three meals a day and I guess deviating from that more and more made me feel like I was starting to fall into bad habits even though the snacks were not so unhealthy.

I think I will go along with the point of view that snacking is actually going to help, otherwise I get TOO hungry and then over eat in the evening... guess it's time to start buying raw carrots and soy beans or something.

Good news on the weight gain though :o)  - I have gone back to a protein shake for lunch as well as breakfast and am now back to losing weight again... as a result I have also increased the amount of protein I am consuming and have more energy and at last feel like I can start working out.

Also my wife had her Gastric Bypass on Wednesday and is home and feeling pretty good, so at last we can now work together on our meal plans and excercise regimes etc.

Thanks again

Ken.
Don 1962
on 8/20/11 7:06 am

Good Luck to your Mrs. too!

What part of our great State are you in?   I'm near Cedar Creek Lake about 50 miles from the SE edge of the Metroplex.

ken_405
on 8/20/11 7:26 am - TX
Thanks Don,

Guess i'm not that far from you really - I'm about 45 minutes south of San Antonio.... lived here for 3 years - orginally from just outside of London, England.
Don 1962
on 8/20/11 7:38 am

Partner,

We ain't quite neighbors.  We're still looking at a five hour ride one way.  When I say the Metroplex I'm referring to Dallas - Ft. Worth.

Most Active
Labor Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 40 views
Recent Topics
Labor Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 40 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 57 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Sunday Weigh In