Recent Posts

SpeechyKeen
on 4/7/16 6:28 pm - Holbrook, MA
RNY on 04/25/16
Topic: Counting down

It only took 10 years and three separate attempts, but I am a little over 2 weeks away from my gastric bypass. I feel excited, nervous, and maybe even a little scared of how much is going to change. I also feel ready. 

I've been dieting since I was 4 years old. 27 years is long enough to think I can do it alone. Especially with thyroid disease and PCOS. 

Now that I have my dependence on sugar under control, I feel really confident that I can make the changes stick. But like any addict, I kind of live in fear of complacency and that someday I may be dumb enough to think "I'll be fine". 

LawsonBrenda67
on 3/19/16 6:30 am
Topic: RE: HIATAL HERNIA

I know this is an older post. What happened with your hernia. A CT Scan just showed pouch through hernia and pressing. Was wondering what they do, my follow up for this with the WLS isnt for another week.

Thanks

Brenda

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/16 6:39 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone have gastric bypass done by Dr. Cohen at UMass Worcester Hospital?

Hello I have a question what type of insurance did you have and how did you go about getting this surgery :)

Maronita
on 2/28/16 11:34 am
Topic: RE: Researching

I see you posted almost half a year ago; have you had the surgery, yet?  I had my surgery done at Boston Medical Center.  I understand how you feel about doing it with regular diet and excercise as I said that myself for about 10 years prior to finally deciding to have the surgery.  I am grateful though that I did have it in the end.  BMC has a lot of support groups for those considering weight-loss surgery and those who have had it already.  I encourage you to attend the groups regardless of where you had the surgery and even in the event that you decided to forego surgery.

Boston Medical Center (BMC) Weight Loss Surgery Support Groups:

Second Monday of the month at 6 PM - 7:30 PM @ Marriott - 1000 Marriott Drive - Crown Colony - Quincy MA  02169

Second Wednesday of the month at 10:30 AM @ BMC - 88 E. Newton St. - Conference Room C/D - 2nd Floor - Boston MA

First, and Third Thursday's of the month at 5:30 - 7:00 PM @ BMC - 88 E. Newton St. - Conference Room C/D - 2nd Floor - Boston MA

Maronita

Maronita
on 2/28/16 11:17 am
Topic: RE: New Here

Welcome to the forum!  I had my surgery in 2012 and have maintained a one hundred pound weight loss (LAP Band surgery).  My surgeon was Dr. Hess @ Boston Medical Center.  First off, it is recommended that you do NOT go back to work straight-a-way.  You should plan on staying out of work for at least a week and possibly two weeks.  During the first week you should NOT be lifting a gallon of milk or more!!! Obviously this means NO lifting children!  I would recommend walking around the block at first after surgery and then maybe increasing exercise routine.  Maybe you have an excercise/dance routine on a DVD that you could move along with for exercise?  For at least the first month you will NOT be eating other than having the liquid/soft food diet.

Maronita

randi0516
on 2/21/16 11:17 am
Topic: New Here

I am new here and in the process of getting my testing out of the way. I have seen Weight Management, nutrition, and I go for my barium test tomorrow. My therapy appointment is later this week too. I am working with Dr. Takla and my surgery will be at Winchester Hospital. I have gone through the forum a bit and haven't seen any one who has gone there. I am very excited to have the surgery but a little nervous about my doctor because he is young and new to the hospital it seems. I seem to have all my appointments set up and I am working on eating better now and hopefully I can lose enough so that will continue going forward. 

I have been trying the protein shakes for breakfast that were recommended and they weren't bad they remind me of slim fast shakes. Eating has been a pain for me I work in a day care and take care of infants. So I have very little down time to eat or snack. I am nervous to go back to work after surgery and have issues with eating like I am suppose to. Any hints and help you can pass on that would be great. 

Also if people have work out programs that you follow could you pass those along too? I don't move much when I get home because I am so tired but I think if I start moving my 2 year old with work out with me. She is consistently moving and running and I have a hard time keeping up with her.

Thank you for all your help in advance.

Randi 

moonface603
on 2/19/16 9:23 pm
Topic: RE: Researching

Hi Carol,

I am a newbee.  I am in the process of getting all the pre-op stuff right now.  My surgeon asked me if I had a weight I was looking to be post surgery.  I didn't.  Just want to be healthier.  Then he gave me a 55-80# weight loss estimate.  I want the sleeve.  It seems as though everyone on here has achieved much more than that.  dont get me wrong any weight loss at this point and i will be thrilled. lol  I have a BMI of 62. ugh!

Any thoughts...is it really possible to go beyond the 55-80#'s?

Thanks for taking the time to help us rookies!

mmsmom
on 2/8/16 7:07 am - Woburn, MA
Topic: RE: Boston medical a one?

I had my lapband at the Faulkner - it was a terrific hospital, but then my doctor left the program...revised to the sleeve at the Lawrence memorial in Medford - also excellent care!

VSG on 04/28/2014

shortstuffever78
on 1/31/16 5:35 pm
Topic: RE: Starting my Journey even though I don't feel it....

Hi lisa feel free to PM i am no longer in this support group as i found another with more activity...

Lisa F.
on 1/31/16 5:31 pm
VSG on 06/06/16
Topic: RE: Starting my Journey even though I don't feel it....

Hi all -

i totally inderstand your fears, as I share them, but when I think about all the times I've tried to lose the weight on my own to beat myself up for being unsuccessful I realize this is the right choice.

im also in the pre-op phase at Mt Auburn and have been really impressed so far. I actually think I was in your immersion class last Wednesday (I was the one asking all the questions...LOL)! Am so happy to hear the great feedback. I had another surgery at MAH a few years go and had a great experience, so I'm not worried about going there. 

My my big concern is getting approved. I have Aetna and will finish the 3 month requirement in March so have no sense of how long it takes from there. My BMI is 42 but I don't have any health issues other than that so I'm afraid they will turn me down. 

Anyway, is nice to meet local people who are going through this. 

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views