Recent Posts

Tiffanylee28
on 7/2/13 2:22 am - east taunton, MA
Topic: RE: MEDICAID AND MEDICARE SURGEONS LIST!

Can you give me some information please! or email me some information [email protected]

thank you so much

Tiffany!

Tiffanylee28
on 7/2/13 2:21 am - east taunton, MA
Topic: RE: MEDICAID AND MEDICARE SURGEONS LIST!

Hello, I'm a new member i'm a 28 year old mother to a 9 year old boy. I have been skinny my whole life. i was 114lbs when i was 4 months pregnant for my son. Had my son had a little belly still , got on the implanon birth control and literally blew up i'm up to maybe 180 since i havent weighted myself in a while last time i did i was 171.00 . I want  my stomach gone more then anyone can even imagine me and my bf of 14 years have been fighting like crazy bc when he met me i was nice and skinny and fit, now i'm fat, lazy and wanna move bc i'm so depressed with how i look i abs. HATE it. Makes me not want to do anything or go anywhere i hate this. I cant afford surgery bc i havent been able to find a job due to this lazyness and depression. But i was researching and seen that mass health covers it. not to sure on the requirements or anything. can someone please help me. i'm new to this so not to sure when i get a message replying to this but [email protected] is my email please respond either way please. thank you so much

tiffany

snazzy
on 7/1/13 2:11 am
Topic: RE: Support groups for wls in Massachusetts

I'm interested in that also. Feel like once a month is not enough right now. I'm farther away though.

cappy11448
on 6/29/13 9:16 pm
Topic: Support groups for wls in Massachusetts

Hi All,

I've been active on the Vertical sleeve forum for a few months, and just found this forum. 

I'm looking for support groups for WLS in Mass.  There is one at Lahey, where I had my surgery but it meets only once a month, but I'd like to find more.

Do any of you know of support groups in Mass?  I live near Concord and Lowell.

thanks,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

bostonbabe369
on 6/27/13 6:27 am - Stoughton, MA
Topic: RE: Gastric sleeve

Thanks for your input. Elevating pain is def more important. I have been pondering this everyday. I am very torn right now. I would rather have the bypass, but I have done some extensive research on both procedures. Malabsorption only last for 2 years. Plus I don't want to be throwing up. At the 2 year mark both surgeries have the same outcome as far as weight loss. With the sleeve you can take medications and you are not committed to taking supplements the rest of your life.  Also with the sleeve they take out a part of your stomach that produces a hunger hormone. The sleeve is irreversible but less risk. I have spoken with people who have had both surgeries. For some reason more people favor the sleeve. Both surgeries are a tool the rest is on you. I have several friends who had bypass surgery over the last 2 years, they are back to their old habits and their weight is creeping back again. There is no guarantee with either procedure.

Jennifer39
on 6/27/13 5:30 am
Topic: RE: Gastric sleeve

You know you're body better than anyone of us. Do you think you'll be able to forgo the pain meds? What's more important? These are questions you'll want to ask yourself. Both surgeries have risks. I personally will be getting rny due to the immediate results and the malabsorption that I think I will benefit from in the end. 

Concentrate on what you HONESTLY think you'll be able to handle long term. Don't lie to yourself. Be honest!

bostonbabe369
on 6/20/13 2:46 pm - Stoughton, MA
Topic: Gastric sleeve

So bummed right now. My ortho doc recommended I should get weight loss surgery to alleviate my degenerative joint and disc disease problems. Unfortunately cortisone shots are no longer working for me. I need total knee replacement in both knees. My bones are rubbing together and my knees are filled with arthritis. Very painful at times but I manage. I also have GERD and high blood pressure. My ortho doc says I am a candidate for knee replacement but he wants to wait. He says I am too young for the procedure. Losing weight will alleviate some of my discomfort.

On my first visit to my bariatric surgeon, we discussed all of the surgeries that would be available to me. After much discussion, I decided I wanted to have gastric bypass surgery. Over the last few months, I had all required test performed and I already ready have a letter from a psychiatrist. All I had to do was to lose 12 pounds before he would seek insurance  approval. I only have 2-3 pounds left to lose.

To make a long story short, I had my monthly visit with my surgeon this week. Now he thinks I should have the gastric sleeve instead. He thinks down the road I may need NSAID meds. He told me months ago to stop taking them.  I could develop bleeding ulcers if I took them after the surgery. I have had some inflammation, but I thought after losing the weight I wouldn't need the meds anyway.

I was wondering if someone on the forum can give me some input about the sleeve. I love sweets and carbs and I thought that the bypass surgery would keep me in check from not indulging. It would be my safety net. I have read with the sleeve you can eat anything. I am afraid down the road, I may slip back into my bad habits and make poor food choices again. I know that the surgery is only a tool no matter which type you have. The rest is on you. If I could make wise choices, I wouldn't need surgery to lose weight. I want to be successful with my weight loss journey.

The sleeve is less invasive and the recovery time is faster. The surgery is irreversible. This is one of my concerns. I have been doing research on both surgeries and I feel confused. Do I stick with what I originally wanted and forego taking the NSAID meds?  Or get the sleeve? I don't know how I may feel medically down the road, I may need the meds again.

Sounds simple, but it's not. Not much info or data about the effects of the sleeve long term. Have to figure out something soon due to the fact that he will probably submit paperwork next month since I am losing the required weight. Would really appreciate some advice or feedback from others. Thanks!

AwesomeForever
on 6/18/13 3:42 pm - Marlborough, MA
Topic: RE: 1 Year Post Op - Newton Wellesley Hospital

I got on with Dr Partridge and was praised for losing 9 pounds since my four year check up. Love this RNY weight loss tool that I have and love that I have such a great surgical team helping me with any little question.

Linda

Devilwearspaula
on 6/17/13 4:24 am - MA
VSG on 11/19/13
Topic: RE: 1 Year Post Op - Newton Wellesley Hospital

Congratulations on your weight loss!! I'm thinking about getting the surgery done, and if i do get it, I want to get it at NWH. I've had three back surgeries since 2010 and they've all been done there. Love that hospital! I'd like to know more about your journey and experience with the WLS at NWH! :D

marieloves
on 6/13/13 2:10 am
Topic: RE: Mass Health Neighborhood Health Plan

Any new experience with Neighborhood Plan in MA???? Pleaseeee!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views