Newbie.....any NEMC patients out there???

shadylady896
on 4/26/06 10:10 am - brewster, MA
Hi there, I have been a lurker for about a month or so now and I have learned so much from all of your stories! I am in awe of the results and the enthusiasum of all of the losers here! You have inspired me to persue this journey. I have an appt at Tufts/New England Medical Center on May 8. I received a packet in the mail which I have filled out and am to bring with me that day. I believe I am meeting with the psych and the nutritionist for this first appt. I am just wondering if there are any other NEMC post or pre op's out there who might tell me a bit more about what to expect from the program there. I live about 90 miles away from Boston so it's not going to be easy to get there often. I am most wondering about the overall experience of anyone who went there and how long it took from the first visit to surgery?? Thanks for any help!! Melinda
shadylady896
on 5/1/06 10:20 pm - brewster, MA
Thanks for the reply Mira! I'm only hearing good things about NEMC so I guess I will be in good hands!! Melinda
Maraki
on 5/2/06 12:34 am - MA
Hi Melinda, I had my surgery at NEMC and am very happy with it and the surgeon. You do have to go through many classes, tests and appointments before you even get a date. That is to prepare you for surgery. They do not procede if there is any physical problems until your ready and healthy. I chose the lapband and have been loosing accordingly. We had group sessions for 8 weeks and my group keeps in touch by email all the time. We have become email buddies. I think it is a good choice. Just try to make the best of your appointments. They always try to book them separately. Try to get in at least 2 each time if you can. Good luck in your decision Maraki
shadylady896
on 5/2/06 10:48 pm - brewster, MA
Hi Maraki Thanks for the info. My appt is coming soon....5 days! I'm excited and think I've made a good choice with NEMC! Melinda
Barb H
on 5/13/06 12:14 pm - SouthCoast, MA
Hi Melinda, I have gone through the NEMC program and can reassure you that it's great. I am fighting an idiot insurance company right now, and am not yet banded, but will return to Tufts without hesitation when I win. Barb H.
lazeydazey
on 5/20/06 2:58 pm - Sharon, MA
Hi, Although I didn't have mine done at T-NEMC, it still is a good hospital. You want Dr. Shikora to do it. He's the best one there and he's a close friend of my in-laws. They told me that after booking my surgery at Brigham & Womens. Only bad thing about having it at T-NEMC is that you may or will have to wait at least 3 months or more to have surgery depending on surgeon's schedule. If you decide you want to change hosptials I had mine at Brigham and Womens. I had my pre-op group last Tuesdsay in August, 2005, met Surgeon 2nd wk in Sept., 2005 and had surgery 10-18-05. I waited like 4-5 weeks, big difference. My primary physician now refers all this pts to Brigham and Women's all because of me. Good luck with your future appts and surgery once you get a date. Lisa J
shadylady896
on 5/20/06 9:33 pm - brewster, MA
Thanks for the info Lisa! Too late for me to change hospitals.....I already paid that non-refundable program fee at NEMC. But I feel good about my choice. I have to wait until the Fall to have the surgery anyway as I work at a seasonal business on Cape Cod and the season is about to get rolling. So I hope to be able to fit all the other stuff (classes, appts, tests, etc) in over the summer so when I'm free I can have the surgery and have the off season to recover. Congrats on your success! Melinda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views