If you could say ONE thing about . . . . .

CelticRose
on 4/9/06 3:14 am - MA
I started this post on the main board and have had some great answers. Thought I'd start it here as well for those of you who might not go to the main board. *************************************************** I have been in a few situations lately where I made a comment that received a few odd looks. OK...OK...This happens a GREAT deal but this time I am referring to a WLS related statement I made. This happened once when the hospital's PR folks were going to do a WLS article and once when a friend told me about another WLS article. My comment was 'I hope this isn't going to be just another FAT pants type article.' What I meant was that I think this surgery is about more than just the weight we lose. For me it's more than just something that brought me to a size where I could have a pic of my skinny self next to a pair of my old fat pants. Sooooooo..... my question to all of you is..... If you could say ONE thing in an article about your WLS journey OTHER than just about the pounds lost, what would you want to say to others? OK... It doesn't have to be just ONE thing just not related to size difference. So as not to influence anyone... I won't put in my answer yet but I will answer after a few other replies. I think there are soooo many other valid issues that I have heard others state in various posts before. No wrong answers as this is a personal issue. Sooooooo..... If you could say ONE thing about your WLS journey OTHER than just the pounds lost, what would you want to say to others? I look forward to reading eac person's perspective. Carolyn
cowgirlup
on 4/9/06 9:48 pm - HAVERHILL, MA
my one thing is..... NOT ONE REGRET!!! i am so happy i had this done and wish i had it done years ago! Cybill 313/258/160
CelticRose
on 4/9/06 11:05 pm - MA
I like the idea of getting out the message that many do NOT regret doing this. Often the media focuses on the negatives. Focusing on the positives is VERY important. What would you say is the 'ONE' reason (or more) that makes you wish you had done this sooner that is beyong the weightloss? Carolyn
SteffieBear15
on 4/9/06 11:31 pm - Medford, MA
Revision on 10/29/12
I think that I would have to say that..... I feel like a normal human being deserving of love and happiness since my WLS. This is something that I TOTALLY DID NOT feel prior. I felt inferior, ugly, and low. SO basically My mentality has completely changed.
CelticRose
on 4/9/06 11:45 pm - MA
Self-esteem changes are ones that many experience and find soooo rewarding. It's a wonderful interior change that many miss as they focus just on the weightloss. Carolyn
ellie72
on 4/10/06 7:35 am - hull, MA
Hi Carolyn, Great question! I don't feel as self conscious anymore. I don't always feel like people are looking at me because I am the fat girl (even though I still have a way to go in weight loss) I FEEL better! I know I must look better because people tell me I do. But I don't dread doing things that will have me on my feet all day. Although for a long time I did do many things the couple of years before my surgery I started to not want to do things. That made me sad and angry at myself. Now I look forward to doing things! My frame of mind is different too. Even though I have always been friendly, I am more open with people post surgery. Talk to you soon! Eleanor
CelticRose
on 4/10/06 1:34 pm - MA
Isn't it amazing what answers folks (including yourself) offer as answers when asked. You have so many wonderful non-size items. Improved self esteem, feeling better physically, finding new desire to do things, discovery in allowing who you are on the inside to shine again. Great benefits as I am SURE you already know. Carolyn
llibby
on 4/10/06 12:14 pm - Shrewsbury, MA
Ok Carolyn, There are so many wonderful things that have happened to me since my surgery, here's a few! Medically: I have never been better, I'm off my blood pressure meds and my cholesterol is low!!!, My thyroid medication dose is lower too. Physically: I can run up a flight of stairs! I can make it through a 1 1/2 hour dance class, I can shop and keep up with my teenagers all day...without getting tired. Emotionally:I am a very happy person, I smile all the time. I have more to offer my family and husband, I am no longer depressed. Vanity: I love shopping in regular stores and fitting into "normal sized clothing" Lisa lap-band 12/29/05 down 50 lbs
CelticRose
on 4/10/06 1:40 pm - MA
What a great way to summarize your answers. Medical, physical and emotional imprevements. Medication reductions. Energy and endurance improvements. Emotionally stronger. Being happier and sharing more of your inner self with family. Yeah.... and although I still (and always will) HATE shopping I know it's seen as a GREAT benefit to many. Great answers. Carolyn
pattyc129
on 4/11/06 2:35 am - East Templeton, MA
Although I have not had surgery yet (I have an appointment with the surgeon on April 20th), the one thing I could say would be WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS SOONER!!! I'm in my late 40's with an 8 year old son. I'm doing this so that I can run around in the yard with him and play. I'm doing this because I want to be healthy. And I'm doing this because I want to be around to see grandchildren. So much attention today is put on being "thin and beautiful". If you were to remove all of the TV commercials that show beautiful, well toned people, we wouldn't have many commercials!! This is truly sad. Just like drugs or alcohol, food is an addiction. I'm just glad there is help out there for those of us that need it!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views