Starting the process

jrobichaud
on 3/14/06 4:10 am - Pepperell, MA
Hello all. I am Just starting the process of seeing the surgeon and support group meetings. I am tossing over the RNY or lap band. Any help???
Caeli B.
on 3/14/06 6:05 am - Boston, MA
Welcome! My best advice is to attend the support groups (there are both RNY and band-specific groups) and read as many posts and profiles here on OH as you can. Research, research, research and you should ultimately feel which surgery (and post-op lifestyle) is right for you. I absolutely LOVE my band but I know its not the right choice for everyone. Only you can decide what is right for you. Best of luck, Caeli 348/323/255/198 5'10"
ellie72
on 3/14/06 6:58 am - hull, MA
Hi, Caeli is correct in her assesment. You do ultimately need to do what you feel is right for you. Definitely go to support group meetings. You will hear a lot of good information. I have arthritis in both of my knees, I wanted the weight to come off faster rather than slower. So I chose a by-pass. I have been very happy with the choice! And would be happy to answer any of your questions. Make sure you do your research and feel content with your decision. The surgeon did not point me in either direction, just laid out some of the differences. But it doesn't hurt to ask if he/she thinks one would be more beneficial for you over the other! Keep us posted Eleanor
greerdansmom
on 3/14/06 8:04 pm - Westford, MA
Joshua - Congratulations on your decision to seek out information regarding weight loss surgery. I had the lap band surgery on January 25th at Emerson Hospital and couldn't be happier with my decision. The decision for me was easy. I own my own business and wanted a very easy recovery process. I was back at work the day after I came home from the hospital and felt great. Personally, I felt that RNY was too invasive.....but everyone is different. I lost weight quickly after the surgery with the post op diet and it is now slowing down, which is fine by me. I just had my first fill and am looking forward to a healthy weight loss. Definitely take advantage of the support groups and other health professionals at the hospital. These individuals offer a wealth of information to you. Best of luck. Leslie 250/217/140ish
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views