NEED EVERYONES HELP ASAP!!

LM322
on 3/10/06 3:42 am - Springfield, MA
My name is Lindsay, I'm on the message board for a different reason. I am a college student in MA and for on of my classes we had to write up a proposal that had to do with your work or an extra curricular activity you're involved in. I presently work at a fitness center, so my idea for the proposal was to build an alliance between the gym I work at and a local hospital. More specifically, the Bariatric Unit of the hospital and the patients who were either debating gastric bypass surgery, or had already undergone the surgery. The hospital would purchase annual memberships from the gym, and before the patient goes through with surgery they have the option to work one-on-one with the trainers at the gym for a month or two (giving them another option.) For patients who have already undergone the surgery, they are able to use a couple months afterwards to learn about maintaining their body. For this project I need to conduct and interview and a survey... rather than asking all the questions to doctors, dieticians, and the gym ower - I thought it would be interesting to get the patients perspective on everything. Below is a list of questions, only five so it won't take long. I was wondering if everyone that reads this and is either a pre-surgery patient or a post-surgery patient could answer these few questions for my research. I dont have very long to do this (questions and answers are due on Sunday) so I'm kind of pressed for time. I would appreciate it greatly if you would all give your input. Thanks much! 1.) Would you consider a one month trial membership at a gym working with personal trainers before you made the final decision to have surgery? 2.) After surgery, would you consider joining a gym to maintain your body, if the fitness center was affiliated with your hospitals "weight loss surgery program?" 3.) WOuld you feel comfortable working out when regular gym members were there, or would you prefer private sessions for your hospitals group? 4.) Do you feel as though your doctor gave you more options than just surgery? 5.) Are there any reasons that would keep you from going to a gym as far as your comfort level goes? If so, what could we (fitness centers, staff, trainers, etc.) do to make your experience better? Please be as descriptive as possible and answer the question as it relates to you. You can just re-post the answers and feel free to add anything else... thanks very much again!
emme819
on 3/13/06 10:07 am - Worcester, MA
Ok, I'm game. 1.) I would not have considered a one month gym membership with personal trainers, free or not, before making my final decision about the surgery. I have exercised extensively in the past and knew that going to the gym simply would not be sufficient. 2.) I did join a gym six weeks after my surgery and have been going 5-6 days a week ever since. I'm not sure I would have gone to one affiliated with my WLS program unless I could have an individual program designed for me. My program requires classes with an exercise physiologist prior to the surgery, and I found the classes, while wonderful, were not challenging enough for me given my background of exercise and sports. They were geared more towards those who had never really exercised before. 3.) As I said above, I have joined a gym (the YMCA actually) and feel totally comfortable working out there. Working out around other WLS patients would be good from a mental standpoint, and for emotional support, but I have had zero problems in my gym. 4.) My WLS program requires us to meet with a bariatrician, who screens us into the program. The program has two tracks, on surgical, one non-surgical. Both were quite thoroughly explained to me, and the pros and cons of each totally discussed. I had originally started at another hospital that had a "medical" weight loss program because I wasn't ready to make the decision to have surgery. The medical program predicted a weight loss of about 15% of excess body weight, and that just wasn't enough for me so I opted for the surgical route. The bariatrician has to clear you for admission to the program you choose. 5.) Nothing has yet kept me from going to the gym. I shopped around and visited several gyms in my area before deciding on the Y. I knew I wouldn't be comfortable in a gym that catered to the spandex crowd. The Y I joined is only a couple of years old, and people of all ages, shapes, sizes and colors go so I've always felt comfortable. People are friendly and helpful, and the personal trainer I've hired is terrific. I hope this is helpful. Feel free to email me if you want any other info. Mary Ellen
lmt516
on 3/16/06 10:46 pm - Brant Rock, MA
1.) Would you consider a one month trial membership at a gym working with personal trainers before you made the final decision to have surgery? A.) I probably wouldn't have committed to a public program. I had too many issues with moving in public. 2.) After surgery, would you consider joining a gym to maintain your body, if the fitness center was affiliated with your hospitals "weight loss surgery program?" A.) Absolutely would have. I did join the Y in my area, and also now have a personal trainer. 3.) WOuld you feel comfortable working out when regular gym members were there, or would you prefer private sessions for your hospitals group? A.) I would have preferred a bit more privacy in the beginning. I did try to pick times when the Y was more deserted. 4.) Do you feel as though your doctor gave you more options than just surgery? A.) Ddefinitely, at NEMC they have a great Dr of Exercise Physiology who sets up individual workouts. He has been a huge asset for me. I have just completed my 2nd 1/3 Marathon and am training for a full next year. 5.) Are there any reasons that would keep you from going to a gym as far as your comfort level goes? If so, what could we (fitness centers, staff, trainers, etc.) do to make your experience better? A.) Not now but a better understanding of our physiology would help. I cannot hydrate like "normal" people. It is a can be very tricky. Also if we get into more active things like 5 or 10Ks or even marathons, the Energy GUs can be dangerous for us as far as dumping etc...
~ Stylz ~
on 3/24/06 2:17 pm - North of Boston, MA
1.) Would you consider a one month trial membership at a gym working with personal trainers before you made the final decision to have surgery? I would consider a trial membership to see if I liked the gym, not to use a gym membership to decide if I want the surgery or not.. Most people who have started the process for surgery have already made their mind as to undergoing bypass or lap-band. It isn't a decision made overnight. 2. After surgery, would you consider joining a gym to maintain your body, if the fitness center was affiliated with your hospitals "weight loss surgery program?" Yes, but if not I'd still join a gym because its obvious to everyone that exercise is what makes you lose weight. 3.) WOuld you feel comfortable working out when regular gym members were there, or would you prefer private sessions for your hospitals group? Either way wouldn't matter to me as long as I was able to go at whatever time fit my schedule. 4.) Do you feel as though your doctor gave you more options than just surgery? My doctor is a bariatric surgeon, what other options would she give me other than bypass or lap-band? 5.) Are there any reasons that would keep you from going to a gym as far as your comfort level goes? If so, what could we (fitness centers, staff, trainers, etc.) do to make your experience better? I go to work out not to impress people at the gym. I don't have a problem where I work out and find there are people young, old, skinny and obese there. People aren't judged where I work out..
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views