Pre-op at BIDMC, what to expect???

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/06 12:26 am - Memphis by way of Boston!, TN
I go in on Valentines Day for my pre-op. I am having lap RNY with Dr Jones on 02-21. I am curious as to what the pre-op consists of and how long it normally takes. I asked the girl at the desk when she scheduled it and the only answer I got was you need to see Anesthesiology (sp?) and it will take about 5 hours. Ummm that seems to be a long time to just see anesth.??? Anyone got any insight for me?
yenny9475
on 2/10/06 10:59 am - Hyde Park, MA
Hi Michelle! My name is Jen, and I had the LapBand with Dr. Jones last Monday, the 6th. I had my pre-op the week before, and was also told it will take about 5 hours. Wrong. I was in at 8, out by 9. I am healthly and have no major health concerns, so it was straightforward. They did more blood work, BP, vitals, and then lots of questions and talking. I know someone else who went on Monday for her preop, and it was drive through for her, too. It may depend on your procedure and if you have any health concerns, but I imagine that if everything is straightforward, it will be a breeze. Best of luck with everything, and I will meet you on the other side of the scale. Jen
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/06 11:29 am - Memphis by way of Boston!, TN
I spoke to Sherry about her pre-op also! She said she was going to go visit with you. So glad to hear your surgery went well! I dont have any major health issues and I assumed it would be less than 5 hours. Thats good to know that my whole day shouldnt be spent sitting waiting around in a Drs office! Sherry was telling me about the black phone and the check in for surgery................weird!! We will all three of us have to plan a get together when we are all losers!!! Thanks for the well wishes!
lazeydazey
on 2/10/06 12:31 pm - Sharon, MA
I went to Brigham & Womens for surgery. BIDMC has not done as many. I work in the Medical Field for a living and I know which are the best holspitals for this . BIDMC is not as good as B&W or NEMC. Each hospital does things differently when it comes to scheduling things, I had all my appointments done on the same day to make it easier. Good luck anyway. Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/06 10:57 pm - Memphis by way of Boston!, TN
Its tough to know who to believe when it comes to peoples opinions. I was told to stay away from B&W. Wasn't B&W the hospital where the WLS was performed and a surgery tool was left inside the person? I gotta say, Im not sure why you responded to my question? You didnt answer it and seeing as how you didnt even go to BIDMC, then maybe you should have kept your opinion to yourself. Thanks.
yenny9475
on 2/11/06 8:08 am - Hyde Park, MA
Nice of her to butt in when she knows nothing. I, too, work in the medical field and would not have gone to the Brigham. Not only do they leave instruments in, they have had more deaths. People who have nothing nice to say should keep their mouths closed. Unreal... you, Sherry, and I will DEFINITELY hook up, and soon!!!! Maybe at the BI...
SherryW
on 2/11/06 9:26 am
Hey Michelle and Jenn.....yeap pre-op was a breeze if ya go in the morning It took me 45 min to an hour that's it. I met everyone I was suppose to as well. I honestly have to say.....I LOVE BIDMC as well. All the staff members have been more than helpful and have always answered any of my questions. Heck I got all my requirements in within the first week as well. Initial visit, labwork, ultrasound, psych eval and nutritionist all done the same week as well as my 1st info meeting. It certainly can be done You're going to do very well Michelle! Looking forward to meeting you and Jenn too!!!! Sherry OHhhh boy my banding is Monday!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/06 11:26 am - Memphis by way of Boston!, TN
WooHoo Sherry I am so excited for you!!!! I will be saying a lil prayer for you and for Dr Jones!!! Im sure things will go fantastically!
SoulSista
on 2/11/06 7:41 pm - Boston, MA
congrats on your up coming journey. I'm a nurse and have work at both hospitals and both are excellent hospitals. Dr jones is a great Dr. and you will do very well. BDICM has a dedicated barriatrics floor now were you will get excellent care. Just remember to walk walk walk after you get to you room and then walk walk walk and sip sip sip your water when you get home. Marsha
(deactivated member)
on 2/15/06 4:16 am - Memphis by way of Boston!, TN
Pre-Op was a breeze!! Everyone was super nice and pleasant. I was in and out within and hour and a half!!! Got a blood draw, answered some questions to three different people and was off to maneuver my hubbys truck out of the parking garage!!! That thing is too dang big to be drivin in a city garage!!!!! FIVE days and a wake up and I am in surgery!!!!!!!!!!! OMG Im so excited!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views