Just found this board w/18 days to go before surgery!

Denise R.
on 1/20/06 12:34 pm - Dracut, MA
Hello everyone. I had my preop appointment/class yesterday and a wonderful woman sitting next to me as well as the nurse giving the class recommended this site and I've been looking around and I'm SO glad they did! My surgery is scheduled for 2/7 and I'm anxious, excited and scared all at the same time. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old at home and a wonderfully supportive husband who I honestly think doesn't really have a clue about what I'm about to do. He's heard about it- we've talked, but I'm not sure if he really and truly understands how difficult this is going to be for me in the beginning. Having to care for 2 kids after having this surgery is the most frightening part of it all and I'm wondering if I'll be able to do it as well as make sure i take care of me. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? My husband took a week off from work (he works 3 days / week). I'll be home on a Thursday (barring no complications) and he'll be going back to work the following Thursday- he works 12 hour shifts so I'm home alone with the kids. Will I be able to manage this??
SoulSista
on 1/20/06 4:21 pm - Boston, MA
welcome I would post to the main board this board is not as active. I encourage you to read other peoples profiles so you can get a sense of what to expect. good look on your up coming journery marsha
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 1/21/06 9:08 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Denise....You mentioned your children so I suppose they are a piece of your motivation for surgery. My children were my motivation..I thought I would die and leave them motherless. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. By the time your children enter school..you won't be the "largest mommie at school". Kudos to you in advance. You'll make it through the surgery and recovery just fine. Best to you. Joan
txbunny930
on 1/21/06 8:56 pm - MA
Hi Denise: I had major surgery right after having my daughter. So having a 9 month old and a 2 yo and having a hystorectomy frightened me about the care for my children and myself when I came home. So I know what you are talking about here. You'll be able to do this just fine. Make sure you rest when they rest and do not worry about the housework. I'm sure your husband will help you. Recovery is not long so you'll bounce right back. It's just important that you follow your eating schedule and rest to get you back to 100%. Congrats and good luck. I'm very excited for you. Lorraine
Debbie
on 1/21/06 10:32 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
I am older, age 53, and my children are grown but I am 9 months post-op and live in southeastern Massachusetts. I belong to a support group at the Faulkner Hospital in Jamaica Plain (Boston). I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Contact me by e-mail at [email protected] Debbie Lancaster West Bridgewater, MA Surgery Date: 4/19/05 Height: 5' 9" Weight: 265/162/?? Size: 22/12/??
NE Pats Fan
on 1/22/06 10:26 pm - Tewksbury, MA
Hello, I took a month off from work in november but I was worried because my wife works nights and I have 3 young daughters. But after a week I was fine. Only problem I had was lying w/ my daughter putting her to sleep but she knew daddy had a sore belly so she let me sit instead of lay. You'll be fine, just don't pick them up. I tweaked a muscle bad in my side lifting a thanksgiving turkey and that was only 18 lbs. Good luck paul from tewksbury
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views