Tufts vs Newton Wellesley

Carolyn L.
on 1/19/06 12:30 am - Northborough, MA
I'm trying to decide between Tufts Obesity Consult Center and Newton Wellesley Obesity Associates. I have a friend who used Dr Gazmuri at NW and loved him, but the Tufts program looks more well rounded at least online. Any comments? Thanks, Carolyn
Marlene R.
on 1/19/06 1:26 am - Clinton, MA
You are right here in Northboro, how about UMASS?
Carolyn L.
on 1/19/06 4:19 am - Northborough, MA
Actually, I haven't heard anything one way or the other about UMass.
Carolyn L.
on 1/19/06 5:26 am - Northborough, MA
I was just looking at UMass' website and I'm a little disturbed that they don't have their stats (# done, deaths, complications, etc) available, like the NW and Tufts/NEMC do.
emme819
on 1/19/06 10:26 am - Worcester, MA
UMass doesn't have their stats on their webpage as I recall, but they do tell you right upfront at the two orientation meetings you have to go to how many deaths they've had (3 last I heard). I don't know if they tell you what percentage of people have had complications, but they take a lot of questions and I'm sure you can ask. They also tell how many surgeries they've done. I don't recall as I had my surgery done there almost a year ago now. The important thing, in my opinion, is to be comfortable with the program you choose. I started at NEMC because of their reputation, but I just got a funny vibe at the orientation meeting. I got a good vibe at UMass and have not regretted my choice of program. Whatever program you choose, they will be your partners for a very long time. Most of the programs have orientation meetings you can attend. I'd attend a couple at different places and decide from there. We are very lucky in that we have such top notch medical care in MA, so you have a lot of places to choose from. Good luck! Mary Ellen
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/06 4:53 am - haverhill, MA
Everyone that I know who went through Newton Wellesley, really liked the program and the docs. I don't know many people who went to the Tufts program. I looked at it 4 years or more ago, and chose Brigham & Womens......Tufts gave me a sort of, chilly, clinical feeling.....of course that was 4 years ago and just my perspective.
Carolyn L.
on 1/19/06 5:27 am - Northborough, MA
Thanks!
SteffieBear15
on 1/19/06 5:40 am - Medford, MA
Revision on 10/29/12
Hi Carolyn... I am a NWH patient and I cannot say enough about the program. I am obviously have no dealings with Tufts but NWH is extremely well rounded and the docs care so much! Another benefit is that compared to some programs you can get a date relatively quickly (if you are ready that is). I wish you the best of luck!!! Hugs, Stef
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/06 7:48 am - MA
Hi Carolyn, I'm a Tufts-NEM**** patient and was just had surgery last week, but I've been working with the OCC for over a year - which is the time it took me to decide to have surgery and make room for it in my schedule (I could have had the surgery over a year ago if I had wanted). I can't say enough good things about their program; they are an incredible group of professionals and they've been right there with me every single step of the way. Once you're accepted into the OCC program, you really are a patient for life - they're very available, very caring, genuinely concerned, and the surgical follow-up and behavioral and nutritional support iis awesome. You can call them with any kind of question, thought, concern, etc - and they know you by name. The OCC surgeons are forever being covered by the media, traveling to present at conferences, and teaching other surgeons -- and yet they still have time for all of their clinical and surgical work...I felt incredibly well-cared for before, during, and after my surgery, and I absolutely loved my surgeon, my psychiatrist, my exercise physiologist, my nutritionist, and the rest of the staff. They are truly a multidisciplinary team, they work together, and they consider every aspect about you as you're going through this surgery - they're in constant communication with each other and they talk about you and how you're doing behind your back all the time. There are several great places to go in MA, but I just wanted to share my very, very positive experience at NEMC so far. Good luck with your journey, and I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you choose. ~Jen
Carolyn L.
on 1/19/06 11:29 am - Northborough, MA
Thank you, Jen. I'm actually leaning towards the OCC. From what I've read online it looks more well rounded. It's a hike for me but I think it's worth it. What college are you at? I graduated with a BA in Mathematics from Boston College in Chestnut Hill in '94. I read your profile and you are a very impressive and beautiful lady! Thanks for taking the time to respond to me!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views