PLEASE NEED ANY HINTS YOU CAN GIVE ME!!

CATHYSDAN
on 1/18/06 11:07 am - three rivers, MA
I saw the surg today and he put me on "Slim Fast Low Carb" or shakes equal to it, for the next 2 weeks till surgery, I understand why my problem is getting them down! I have never been a milkshake/frappee drinker and I NEVER have done artificial sweeteners. My Oncoligist told me years ago never to take the stuff. now I am in a situation that I must and I am ok with it, except for the taste. I bought chocolate as I love chocolate, I tried freezing it as i love frozen things, but nothing can get me to go past this, the after taste is just awful. Tomorrow I am going to buy different flavors and try but if anyone has any hints I would truely appreciate it! Surgery is 01/31/06 and I am so so excited. Thanks for any help.
tmaranda
on 1/19/06 12:42 am - Lowell, MA
I would ask your surgeon if you have to use that particular brand or if you can look for another protien drink that you may tolerate better. 2 weeks can be very long if you have to drink something that you don't like. Also if you are using ready to drink see if it comes in a powder and then you can mix it yourself.
Dave_K
on 1/19/06 4:01 am - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
Hi Cathy I think the Slim Fast Low Carb drinks provide you with two nutritional components, (1) protein and (2) vitamins and minerals. There are various types of protein supplements out there and I very much like flavored whey protein powder available at many department stores, drug stores, and nutritional suppliers like GNC. Whey protein powder is usually low in carbohydrates and may or may not have a sweetener so check the labels to see if the sweetener is ok for you. My wife is very allergic to asparatame and a few doctors have told her its nasty stuff even if you're not allergic to it since it contains an ester of phenylalanine. I usually add some ice and milk to my whey protein powder shake when it goes in the blender and once in a while I'll put a banana into my shake. As far as getting your vitamins and minerals, you may be able to get by with taking vitamin and mineral supplements but like everything else, check with your doctor for the best advice. Dave K 318/185/185
Denise R.
on 1/20/06 12:34 pm - Dracut, MA
Cathy that was me 3 wks ago. I went to Walmart and bought Body Fortress Whey Protein and mix it with Simply Smart fat free milk and it really tastes good! I did that for breakfast and lunch every day, had 2 low cal snacks (200 cal or less and always with some protein) and a regular dinner (4oz protein, veggies and if I had room good carbs) and I lost 14.5 lbs in 3 wks. I almost fainted on the scale yesterday! I just bought Unjury unflavored to mix into soups and yogurt - I tried it in oatmeal and honest to god- no taste, not gritty - it was GOOD!
Joyce S.
on 1/23/06 1:09 am - Dennis, MA
Hi Cathy . Our Dr had us (my hubby and I both - surgery was 6 weeks apart ) go on a liquid diet for the 2 weeks prior to and after surgery also. We used Carnation Instant Breakfast for our protein source.Mixed with fat fee milk it was ok but I found way to perk them up-- first instead of buying fresh milk and worrying about it keeping or running out I used the instant powdered type - 1/3 cup milk powder to 1 cup water -mix and add 1 extra Tablespoon to bump the protein -( dr's orders) and the add whichever flavor pkg u have - to the chocolate I would also add 1 Tblsp Nestles sugar free Quik.to the strawberry I'd add 1 Tblsp sugar free strawberry syrup and the vanilla allowed me to get really creative - to start I tried adding apprx 1 tsp vanilla extract- it was terrific ! Then I tried orange extract - it turned out tasting like a dreamsicle !! and then theres instant decaf cofffee for a cappucinno flavor the sky is the limit. I also found that after surgery when we're gone from home for hours I can put this dry mixture in a small container and buy a carton of milk somewhere and we're all set !!!! Good Luck - I'm at 11 weeks today and Ive lost 62 lbs , hubby has lost 42 at 5 weeks. Joyce
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views