Traveling after having the LAPBAND surgery

JulieH
on 1/7/06 4:52 am - OCEAN BLUFF, MA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had to travel after having their surgery. I travel outside of the country for my job from time to time and was wondering if I was going to have a hard time adjusting to the way I eat away from home after having the surgery. I am waiting for insurance approval at this time so I don't know when my date for surgery will be. However if anyone has already faced this, the information would be greatly appreciated.thanks
Kim S.
on 1/8/06 2:39 am - North of Boston, MA
Well I haven't had to travel yet but am expecting to make a trip to Florida later this month and a family vacation outside the country in March. After the initial healing (a little as a week, as much as a month) I am able to tolerate pretty much anything, just in smaller quantities. I plan to bring to-go packets of Nectar protein with me to mix into bottled water if I need it on the airplane or somewhere where I can't get a decent meal. Otherwise, I'll like normal food, just smaller portions. Kim
JulieH
on 1/8/06 10:54 am - OCEAN BLUFF, MA
Thanks Kim. That gives me ideas in what to do for the flight and hopefully my healing will be a fast one. I have to start traveling again to the UK in April and I'm hoping to have my operation in February. If all goes well with the insurance approval. I was concerned about what I was going to eat over there or what to bring with me. Shopping for the same types of food over there isn't like it is in the USA. So I will look into the protein packets and maybe by then I will be able to eat small protions of regular food when I have to eat out. If you have any suggestions of what protein mixes are the best to buy. I would really appreciate the help. Julie
Kim S.
on 1/8/06 11:03 am - North of Boston, MA
Hi Julie, The best advice on protein drinks is to try different ones and see what you like. I like the various chocolate and cappacuino flavours of EAS Myoplex Lite (it comes in individual packets) and Nectar by Syntax. The Nectar is like a fruit juice when you mix it with water. I have the kiwi strawberry and the lemonade. They sell Nectar at the Vitamin Shoppe and www.bariatriceating.com has the travel packets of the Nectar. They also have a protein sampler which I've ordered but not tried yet. People warned me, and it's true, my tastes changed somewhat after the surgery but it was still helpful to have tried some beforehand. The SF carnation instant breakfasts aren't bad either but they only have 5g of protein and the other two shakes have 25g each. Good Luck, Kim 316/295/140
Caeli B.
on 1/13/06 2:11 am - Boston, MA
You should know that a LOT of surgeons want to give banded patients a slight to moderate unfill before they travel outside the country because it minimizes the chance of something getting stuck, etc. in a place without accessible medical care (i.e. doctors who are band knowledgeable). I know someone who didn't get a partial unfill before traveling and had a really hard time. Now whenever she travels she decides ahead of time with her surgeon whether or not to unfill depending on her level of restriction. Definitely something you should talk to your surgeon about. Best of luck, Caeli
JulieH
on 1/21/06 1:15 am - OCEAN BLUFF, MA
Hi, Sorry it's taken so long to reply a thanks. But I wanted to share my greatfullness with your reply. Thank you, Julie I received my date for surgery on the 14th of February.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views