Some questions from a newbie

megtoo12
on 12/27/05 1:56 pm - Easton, MA
Hi Everyone! This website is really inspiring, good luck with your weight loss!!! My first question is, has anyone had any experience with Harvard Pilgrim Health care? I am a dependent of my parents and I wasn't sure if anyone has had any experience with health care. I am severely obese but no recorded health problems. Also, who are your surgeons? I have heard a lot about the Tuft's weight-loss program, what have been your experiences? I would love to hear from people!! Feel free to respond here or email me. Thanks! Meag
roseanneporcelli
on 12/27/05 8:30 pm - Bradford, MA
Hi Meag.. I didn't have Harvard Pilgrim but did go through Saints Memorial Medical Center in Lowell. You can check my profile for more info..the hospital info and the insurance info are at the bottom of all of the profiles. Click on anyone's name to get to the profile. Best wishes! Ro
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 12/27/05 9:12 pm - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Meag..Your bmi would most likely get you into a wls program without needing comorbids. I am a bandster, and fellow bandsters in Mass report Harvard Pilgrim to be o.k. for the surgery. I had bluecross at the time and they were just fine, too. THe Tufts program is a fine and well established program. I chose Brigham due to location, and...my sister in law works at Tufts and I wanted to keep this surgery quiet. You also might try posting on either the lap band forum board or the rny forum board for addl information. This Mass board doesn't get much traffic. Good luck in your journey. Joan
MLONG
on 12/28/05 2:00 am - Wales , MA
I have Harvard Pilgrim Health Care They are great approved in 24 hours they just paid for a TT for me was size 26 now size 2 WLS May 11,2004 email me any time Maryann
It Is What It Is!!!
on 12/28/05 10:44 am - Boston, MA
Hi Meag, HPHC will cover you will no problem based on your BMI and even with no other problems. I have HPHC & NHP. I was approved for the Lap-Band Surgery will no problem. HPHC will recommend that you use one of their approved surgeons (depending on where you live). When I told my PCP that I was interested in WLS, she immediately sent out the WLS packet which lists the surgeons and hospitals that HPHC use in the area. I didn't see many options but I picked the BWF Program for Weight Loss and Dr. Mun will be my surgeon. I am scheduled for Lap_Band Surgery on 1/18/06 but am having second thoughts about the type of surgery to get. I am now leaning towards lap RNY. Hope this information helps in some way. Good luck with your decision. Email me anytime. God bless you.
megtoo12
on 12/29/05 2:11 am - Easton, MA
Thank you all for your help!! I'm only a sophomore in college and have a demanding schedule as an RA and club president, so right now I'm trying to get rid of some of my responsibilities in preparation and I am going to talk to my doctor next week and look into having the surgery next summer. Thank you all for your help!!!
JazzyNana
on 12/29/05 1:06 am - Revere, MA
My surgery is scheduled for January 23. As soon as I mentioned it-my PCP had the packet sent to me.Never had a problem with Harvard Pilgrim at all.I have high blood pressure only ,but my BMI is way up there. They also do not require you to attend the 6 mos. of weight loss support group. I'm having mine done at Brigham & Women's and having it done by Dr. Lautz. They have information sessions and support meetings twice a month each.Definately beneficial to attend. Good luck !
megtoo12
on 12/29/05 5:04 am - Easton, MA
Good to hear, I actually can't wait to ask my PCP, but I'm kind of nervous! Thanks again everyone!!!
emme819
on 12/29/05 8:12 am - Worcester, MA
I have Harvard Pilgrim and was approved the day they got my paperwork. I think they are amazing. I originally planned to have my surgery at Tufts, but ended up at UMass, mostly because it's basically in my backyard and the vibe there just seemed to suit me better. I do believe Tufts is ranked as about the best WLS program in the country, but let's face it, we in MA are lucky that so many of our hospitals are first rate. Most have orientation or information sessions. You can go to a few of those and then go through the program that seems to suit you best. I think it's really important to have confidence in not only your surgeon, but in the whole program. Good luck to you! Mary Ellen
April R.
on 12/29/05 12:13 pm - plymouth, MA
Harvard Pilgrim approved my surgery in 24 hours.. as long as you keep up on your referrals from your PCP you'll be all set. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago with Dr. Hess through Boston Medical Center. It takes a while to get an appointment with him.. but once you do they move you through their program fairly swiftly. He's done over 400 WLS surgeries and is the master!!Good luck..
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views