Rooms at BWH

Kim S.
on 12/9/05 1:22 am - North of Boston, MA
I got my date!!! BWH sent me all kinds of info, including some program where you can reserve a private room (for extra $$$ of course). My question is to anyone who's had their procedure at BWH, what were the pros and cons of staying on their dedicated Bariatrics floor? On the one hand, I'd be happy to be with other WLS patients, on the other hand, I had major surgery and a 5-day hospital stay last Jan with 3 different room-mates, two straight from he&& and I'd be willing to pay for a private room to avoid that again!! Thoughts and Advice? Thanks, Kim
Kate Z
on 12/9/05 3:45 am - MA
Dear Kim, I had my surgery at BWH in May. I did have a room-mate but she was an older woman. Very quiet and non problematic. The Bariatrics floor is the way to go. They have the experience and know how to take care of us RNY's and Banders. I wanted out fast, so I got up as soon as possible and and started doing laps around the wing until the got tired of seeing me. Had my Lap RNY first thing Monday, was up by 5 that afternoon. Would have been home by Wednesday but it turns out that I'm alergic to morphine. So home on Thursday morning drug free. I snuck into work on Friday and ended up working a few hours. All in all, I praise BWH's nurses and staff. A room is just something you want to get out of as soon as possibile. Good Luck Kate Z 313/219/125
silverfish
on 12/10/05 6:43 am - Boston, MA
I had my surgery at BWH in May also... Their 'Bariatrics floor' is a misnomer... I was in a tiny room with an intestinal cancer patient, which was very awkward. I felt so guilty because here I was starting my new life, and she was fighting for hers... They gave me the wrong food and schedule (they had me down as a lap band when I was lap RNY, and gave me solid food the first day etc) However, the nurses were very nice and very sensitive, and there were plenty of extra-large johnnies etc. I figured it was all just part of the bargain for being treated by some of the best doctors in the nation. Who's your surgeon? I thought about paying the extra $$ for a private room when I saw that they had internet, but the anaesthesia and healing (not to mention pain meds) had me asleep for most of my 3-day stay.
Kim S.
on 12/10/05 12:37 pm - North of Boston, MA
Thanks for the advice. I am having the lap band with Dr. Ashley Vernon. I go in on Monday for my pre-op appointments. I'm getting nervous - kinda like standing on the edge of a cliff. I admit I am waffling back and forth about the room. I'd rather stay with other WLS patients but I had such horrible luck with room-mates last time that it's making me gun-shy... Kim P.S. - How do you get pictures (or a .sig) in your posts? I got a picture on my profile but I'm not sure how to do the rest.
katiesg
on 12/15/05 10:15 am - boston, MA
HI I was banded by dr. Vernon in september at BWH. SHe is great and the enitre procedure was fine. I would pony up the $$ for the private room. Consider this time at the hospital "yours" - be comfortable, have someone there to help you and take the drugs to stay calm. good luck katie
Knotty Druid
on 12/10/05 6:17 pm - MA
I would absolutely, absolutely, absolutley get the private room. It is worth the extra cash for piece of mind, and the privacy. There is a high probability that you would get a decent roomate, and I will share 2 quick stories about roomates. My father was hospitalized for a week when I was 10, his roomie had a son who was 10 as well, and we became best friends, to this day... 28 years later. My grandmother had a roomate who was a crack-ho or something, and had different men visiting her all hours of the day, and using foul language. She had $20 for incidentals, and it went missing, courtesy of one of those gentlemen callers, I am sure. That was a nightmare of a roommate story, to balance off the good experience, to show the gamut of what you could run. Pony up the dough and get the private room, you'll be thankful you did.
Carrie N.
on 12/11/05 12:25 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Kim, I agree with another poster, and I asked about the dedicated bariatrics floor. What that means is that they put all the bariatric patients there, but lots of other people as well. In fact, I didn't see anyone on the floor who was a possible bariatric patient. I was in a room with an elderly Russian woman who did not wake up, ever. The rooms are very, very tiny, barely room for a chair, and mine was right outside the nursing station. I was chomping at the bit to leave the morning after surgery, but I ended up staying 2 nights. I did not use the pain pump because I wanted to get out faster. I spent the entire day after surgery sitting outside in front of the hospital, or in the sitting area outside behind the hospital. I checked in on occasion, and I was back outside from midnight until 4 am because I was losing my mind. They never came to turn on my TV, and I was so bored, even though I brought a portable DVD player, it seemed like too much work to get it out. I say go for the private room, if you can, and ask for one away from the nurses' station. I was not thrilled with my hospital stay, but I have never been happy with my hospital stay in any hospital. I guess I am a bad patient This is not to say anything bad about the staff; they were, for the most part, great (I had a nurse the first night I did not like, but all the others were great, and the aides were wonderful). Sorry if I sound difficult; other patients seemed content, but hospital stays are not my thing. I have a high tolerance for pain and recover very quickly. I guess I felt like I just did not need to be there. Carrie
Kim S.
on 12/11/05 1:53 am - North of Boston, MA
Thanks for all your advice guys! The comment about there being bariatrics paitents on the floor, but others too makes sense from a hospital standpoint. I will call tomorrow and reserve a private room. Either way, I hope to be out of there as soon as possible! Kim
Joyce S.
on 12/11/05 8:43 am - Dennis, MA
Hi Kim, I just had my lap RNY done at BWH on Nov 7 by Dr Lautz. I was put on 11 A , never saw the dr after surgery , turns out the 15th floor is normally set aside for the bariatric patients but when they get full they go to 7 or so Dr Lautz told me when I saw him last week. I didn't get the care I should have as the nursing staff had no clue as to what bypass patients needs are - surgically they took care of me but they didn't bring me anything to drink till I asked for it in the afternoon after the flourocopy test at 11or 12 - finally got 1 small glass of water . from Tuesday afternoon til I left on Wednesday I had 2 glasses of water, 2 jellos 2 broths 2 coffees and 2 C I B 's ( Surgery was at 11 scheduled for 7:30 on Monday, got to my room at 6:30 pm) I checked out at 6:30pm Wednesday . when they bring you a CIB it'll only be vanilla it's all they carry. As for your staying in the private suite - for having lapband you'll only be there 1 night . You can leave your purse and any valaubles at home bring only your blue card and 5 dollars day for the tv fees.They'll supply everything else you'll need including slippers robes gowns etc , even toothbrush and toothpaste , comb and more . You'll have a catheter in you when you wake up and likely a pain pump you control with the push of a button .Best advice I can give is get up and move as soon and as much as you can - it'll help you so much. My husband is having the same procedure as I had... a lap RNY on Dec 19th at BWH too & also with Dr Lautz. Good Luck and Happy Holidays ,,,,Joyce
JennieLeigh81
on 12/11/05 11:49 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Kim, I'm having my surgery w/ Dr. Robinson, but don't have a date yet. How much are the extra rooms and are they on the bariatric floor? Jennie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views