Dr. Hess @ BMC-anyone went there?

jcservant2002
on 11/29/05 7:06 am - MA
Hi, I just met with Dr. Hess at BMC and now have a bunch of tests scheduled, has anyone here have any experience with him? I looked online and it seemed he has the most experience of many in Boston area. Thank, Kimberly
Lori M.
on 11/29/05 9:05 pm - Weymouth, MA
I had my surgery with him this past summer. My experience was very positive. If you look at my profile, you'll see my comments regarding my experience with him, his team, and the hospital. The short story is that everything has gone really well. I'm amazed at his memory. He has alot of patients, yet he remembers what I've told him about my family etc. Everyone I've spoken too has felt the same way. Good luck! - Lori
skennedy
on 1/12/06 8:12 pm - Boston, MA
I know that this comes a little late, since this post was originally in November, but I actually just met Dr. Hess on Monday. I originally had my surgery with Dr. Forse at Boston Medical Center in 2000. I loved him. He moved to Nebraska and Dr. Hess took over his job. So I met with him for a yearly follow up. I am preparing for plastic surgery soon and needed my blood levels done. I was nervous about meeting Dr. Hess, as he is not my original surgeon, but I found him to be attentive and patient with me. He is checking my levels and then we will go from there on how to fix any deficiencies I might have. I look forward to continueing getting my care from him. Good luck
jcservant2002
on 1/13/06 4:45 am - MA
Thanks, for your thoughts. How has BMC been with you. The program, others on the team. Complications, nurses, etc? Kimberly
skennedy
on 1/13/06 4:55 am - Boston, MA
BMC Has been absolutely fantastic!! I have been going there for all of my medical needs since I started researching surgery. I changed my primary doctor to one at BMC so that I could have my surgery done there. The staff has been phenominal. I got a private room, and attentive nurses. Plus, my original surgeon doesn't play around (and I am sure Dr. Hess doesn't either). He even readmitted me for dehydration 3 weeks after surgery for a few days. Then 14 months later, I had a small bowel obstruction that required emergency surgery, and they were awesome for that too. I am having my plastics done there as well, and look forward to it. The care I have received there so far is top notch. Everyone on the team has been great too. WEndy is one of their nutritionists and she is great. Adriann was the coordinator, but she has left to pursue a nursing degree. I am sure her replacement is just as sweet and competent. Good luck. Email me with any other questions you may have.
jcservant2002
on 1/13/06 5:14 am - MA
Thanks for the reply Shiobian. Galic name and spelling, right? Is you insurance paying for the platsics? If so which one do you have? Thanks, Kimberly
jcservant2002
on 1/13/06 5:19 am - MA
hi, I just read your profile. So ignore my question about the name. It is funny I had a girl named Shiobian in high school with me and this was the only other time I had seen the name
jcservant2002
on 1/13/06 5:25 am - MA
Hi, I am sorry to be such a pain, but I was curious about how long you had to wait for your pshych eval apt and then after it was done how long until you had surgery. Next week I meet with Wendy and then I can schedule the pshych eval, so I am trying to get some type of guage. Also, how long was it before you could go back to work or if you didn't work what do you think it would have been? I am currently at 250 and size 24 and I would love if my journey was something simular to yours. Thank you very much. Kimberly
April R.
on 1/13/06 6:13 am - plymouth, MA
Hi Kimberly.. I just caught wind of your post and wanted to respond as well.. I just had my lap RYN surgery with Dr. Hess on 12/14.. and he and his team are absolutely wonderful.. an adorable to boot!! BMC is a little on the loud (bring ear plugs and a walkman) side for a hospital but my care there was adequate. They wanted to send me home after 2 nights but I insisted on another night because I live on Cape Cod and I wanted to be extra cautious. FYI.. I too weighed around 250 before surgery and I'm already down 27.5 pounds 4 weeks later. I took exactly four weeks off.. which I really didn't need.. but to tell you the truth I have felt so rested and centered this week that work has been wonderful. You have to wait about a month for the pysch evel because they do them in groups and then only like 3 times a month. My advice is to schedule your eval Monday.. I think as long as it's after Wendy you'll be fine. Cause it takes a while to get in. Just so you know.. you need to know all the stages of the diet and everything about the procedure you are getting because the psychiatrist will quiz you on it extensively. She seems a little stern but she's just being extra careful. It took about 2.5 weeks for her to clear me.. I've heard it can take up to 4 weeks sometimes. My insurance.. Harvard Pilgrim approved me in a day. The process went very fast for me.. about 5 months.. but I needed to wait till December to get my surgery because I'm in grad school. Another FYI.. Wendy probably will talk to you about Smartforme products.. and well they saved my sanity after surgery. No one tells you that for the first couple of weeks after surgery the reailty is is that everything you eat will be either chocolate, vanilla, or fruit flavored. Which is really frankly pretty wierd. Smartforme has a chicken boullion mix that's 15g of protein that is a nice break from all those carnation instant breakfasts.. and it goes down really easy. I highly recommend it. Their hot chocolate is good and so are the cold fruit drinks.. I haven't really liked anything else. You should know that warm liquids go down the easiest after surgery. Also, decaf flavored teas are wonderful after surgery as well if you like that sort of thing. HUMM what else.. just so you know Hess only does surgery on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.. I'm not sure about Thursdays but he doesnt do them on Mondays or Friday. That may help you with planning. Also.. when scheduling your surgery.. try to get the earlier appointment. Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions.. Good luck with your whole process.. it's quite the ride.. hehe
jcservant2002
on 1/13/06 8:55 am - MA
April, Thank you for your message, it was very helpful. I just read your profile-congrats on your engagement...only a few months more off. You are an inpiration to me...you journey and the hope that I to will have a boyfriend and get married sometime. When you called to make your apt for the phsych eval. how long did you have to wait for the actual apt? You said it was a group eval? What format did they do that in? Was it all verbal or any written? By the way I think this experience will make you a better counslor. I used to be a social worker and I know when you have personal experience in a specific topic client listen more, and it is easier to break through the intial trust stage. Thanks, Kimberly
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views