newbie with a question

Trying to Lose A.
on 11/2/05 6:48 am - Boston, MA
Hello - I'm new to the boards, seems like a great site! I just had my first md consultation about the Lap-Band and I'm a little worried about the long term effects. I'm just wondering if any of you had the same concern about the band being made of silicone. When I asked the doc about it he kind of brushed it off. Does anyone have any info that might ease my worries? Thanks!!
Richard
on 11/2/05 12:36 pm - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
The idea of a "foreign object" inside my body was never a problem for me. I do know that some people don't like the idea. But if you had bypass surgery you would have staples inside you. The band is made of silastic and I understand they have been making all kinds of surgically implanted devices with it for a long time. The thing that gave me the willies was the idea of having my stomach cut in half and my intestines permanently re-arranged. I just couldn't do that so I looked for other options, and I found the LapBand. I have had it for 2 years and am very happy with it. My high blood pressure, sleep apnea and diabetes are gone. I can not feel the band at all and never have. The port is under the skin of my stomach and does not bother me. I can feel where it is with my fingers, but otherwise I have no idea it is there. There is a LapBand forum here that you should check out. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/posts
Karen Jean
on 11/2/05 7:38 pm - Charlestown, MA
I was also concerned about the idea of something being permanently implanted, but I should state that I think my concern was unreasonable. Unreasonable or not, though, it was still a concern. One reason I chose the RNY is because I really wanted the permanence of it, and I wanted the potential of dumping to keep myself in line. But, those were my choices to fit me - I know myself, and have lost to my goal before, but fallen back into bad habits. On a positive note, for both of us, you are in a city with very high standards for medical care, and if you are going to a major hospital here (I highly recommend that you do, several of them have permanent, ongoing programs), you are certain, no matter which surgery you select, to get the benefit of being in Boston. I will note that I'm not sure of any hospital here that currently performs DS, but I'm sure there are some.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views