Men who were 80 - 100 lbs obese?

Doug S.
on 10/24/05 11:11 am - Wrentham, MA
Hi everyone, My name is Doug - 44 years old . I am 250 and a 40 BMI w/ med hist going south. I have attended a support group and new member orientation at NEMC. I see the psychologist tomorrow. I want the surgey (bypass) and don't know certain things. I wish to talk to any guys who may have been in the same bounderies as me. I have lots more questions and will continue to sek a surg date. 1) how long will I be out of work? 2) Will I be able to take care of myself? 3) lots more........ Thanks ... Doug
Richard
on 10/24/05 1:37 pm - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Doug I had my surgery at NEMC 2 years ago. The psychologist is Izzy Greenberg, a great guy. I didn't have bypass, I had the LapBand. I had a BMI of 42, sleep apnea, diabetes and high blood pressure. I have lost 90 pounds and my co-morbidities are gone. I stayed one night at the hospital, went back to work at one week and was snow skiing at 6 weeks. I had pain the first three days home, but was able to take care of myself. At 250 pounds you should consider the band, ask Izzy about it. Good Luck!
Doug S.
on 11/1/05 11:16 am - Wrentham, MA
Hey Richard, Thanks for the input - I am sitting here looking and scheduling all I have to accomplish in order to be considered. You had the surgery on my 42nd birthday. I have a 6 year old boy and my wife is a nurse in icu at Childrens Hospital. She's freaking out a little -maybe more than that. She is afraid I will not take care of myself and complain about whatever else. I have an uncle who had bypass and is down to 200 from 350lbs and swears I need the surgery. we're identical in frame and heredity - I just have not caught up yet? Any way - I'll post and thanks again for the support!! Doug
applepeach
on 11/1/05 10:48 pm - Acushnet, MA
Hi, where did you do the lapband? I think I would rather do that but my surgeon in Wareham only does lapsurgery. I also only want to loose about 80lbs, at 5'2'' weigh 224lbs and just want to get back to my pre baby weight. Live in Southcoast of MA, any suggestions? Val
Richard
on 11/1/05 11:04 pm - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Valarie I had my LapBand surgery at Tufts New England Medical Center in downtown Boston. The also do Lap Gastric Bypass (RNY). They have a great program there, that I recommend highly. I think the LapBand is a great option considering your low BMI. The first surgeon I saw only did open RNY, not surprisingly that is the type of surgery she though was best for me. My best advice is to see a surgeon that does both types of surgery, RNY and LapBand. Talk to them about which is best for you. Then you will be able to make an informed decision. Here is a link to their website. http://www.obesityconsult.org/
DC
on 10/25/05 10:39 am - Orange, MA
Doug, You may want to post this on the Mens board. Lots more men there who can help with specific questions. My RNY is on 10/28 so I can answer yet but will know soon. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/ DC
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views