Question regarding recovery

ckeady
on 10/21/05 9:15 am - Brighton, MA
Right now I am going to all my pre-op appointments and meetings and am hoping to have a lap gastric bypass. I was wondering what is the real recovery time. I have heard people going back to work anywhere from a week to three or four weeks. I am a daycare provider so I work from home and have an assistant part time. Anyone have a guess as to how much time I should tell my clients I need off. Thanks.
SteffieBear15
on 10/21/05 12:18 pm - Medford, MA
Revision on 10/29/12
I was told by my surgeon to take month off, not because of the physical recovery but because of the mental recovery as well as the difficulty and time needed to spend to feed/hydrate yourself. They say it is "a full-time job" itself. I was out 4 weeks and I am so glad because I needed the me time. I could have gone back to work after 2 weeks but am so glad I didn't. For you, I imagine you must have to pick up babies/small children... you shouldn't life greater than 15-25 lbs for 3 months (my surgeons rule everyone is different but I also had open RNY). Good luck to you!!!! Hugs, Stef
Hoodsmom
on 10/24/05 2:46 am - MA
hi cheryl, i took off 3 full weeks and went back 1/2 days for an additional 2 weeks. i personally needed the time, at first it was due to the surgery and after a few weeks it was fatigue. everyone is so different, i read on the main board that people were only out 2 weeks and others 8. we each heal at different speeds. i wish you well with your journey. kind regards, lorie
Bandster
on 10/24/05 2:01 pm - t, NJ
I was back to work on day 5. I was tired and probably should have taken another couple of days. That was with Lapband, bypass takes longer.
wisteria
on 11/1/05 11:43 pm - MA
I had an open rny and was back to work in one week. They also told me to take 4 weeks off, but I would go crazy if I did that. I felt great within a week. However, my job is not a physical one. You would not want to be lifting babies, I would think. I was tired by the end of the day, but otherwise fine. Good Luck! Carolyn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views