Lawrence Memorial any one?

gloria V.
on 10/18/05 4:58 am - Salem, MA
Hi, I am having surgery open RNY on November 2cnd...yikeessss..t Lawrence memorial hospital, I have not read many post about him or the hospital, though I know Dr. Randall is very very experianced..I am wondering about the care at the hospital. Thank you Gloria
Karen Jean
on 10/18/05 5:38 am - Charlestown, MA
Hi, Gloria. I had my lap RNY at Mass General (where Dr. Randall also operates), by another surgeon there. But just prior to going in, I was speaking to a friend, and discovered that her husband had Dr. Randall at Lawrence Memorial. My hairdresser did, also. Both of them love him, almost to the point of devotion, so I'd say you're going to be in fine hands. Best of luck, I'll be thinking of you (and myself, I'll be one day short of a month out on Nov. 2nd!).
gloria V.
on 10/18/05 11:35 am - Salem, MA
Thank you Karen for your reply, makes me feel better! And congrads on your surgery..was it October 2cnd? How are you feeling? Thanks Gloria
Karen Jean
on 10/18/05 12:53 pm - Charlestown, MA
My surgery was at Mass General on October 3rd, and Dr. Hutter was my surgeon. I feel great, and I felt great, even in the hospital. Mind you, mine was a lap, whereas yours is an open, so I know there are some differences there. Even when I was in there, and the first few days at home, all I felt was soreness, as if I'd suddenly lost my mind, and done 10,000 situps, lol. The last couple of days (and this is purely my own fault), I've had a little trouble with foods. At the MGH Weight Center, you do liquids for the first 10 days or so after surgery (24 oz each minimum water and skim milk or lactaid nofat), then they advance your diet. So, I'm in the next stage now, which is soft(ish) protein. On Sunday, I skipped a meal, so was feeling very hungry when I finally got around to eating (I had people visiting, and I made the mistake of waiting til they left). In any case, I ate too fast, and didn't chew well enough. Believe me, that won't happen again, lol. There's been a small residual effect from that, but not terrible. Just enough to teach me a lesson. Other than that, I feel great. While you're in, just walk as much as you possibly can, use the incentive breathing device, and drink when they tell you you can (should be early on for an open). On the walking - I was a long time in recovery, and didn't get up to my room til between 11 and midnight (my surgery started about 11:45 AM). Anyway, the nurse changed a couple of dressings when I got to the room, then said she'd let me rest but would be back in 3 hours or so to get me up to walk. At that point, I was so jealous for my sleep that I didn't want her waking me up, so I got up and walked right then. In fact, I asked to walk every time I woke up, because although I was tired and sore, walking actually did make me feel better (and believe me, I've never been much of an exerciser). I was a smoker too, and quit in mid-August, so the incentive breather really did help me, not a lot of fun, but not painful, so I did that every time I was awake, also. As for the drinking, you'll probably want to (I know I did), so that should come fairly naturally. Best of luck to you, seriously, you are in good hands, and I'm sure you'll do fine. I look forward to finding out all about it when you get home .
Karen Jean
on 10/18/05 1:30 pm - Charlestown, MA
Lengthy as it was, I forgot to put something in my last post, lol. I am almost positive that the post-op nutritional protocols are different for MGH and Lawrence Memorial. Even within Mass General, they are somewhat different for opens vs laps. So, if what I put in my last post doesn't jibe with what your nutritionist tells you, don't fret. Each has their own way, and I figure they all know what they are doing. From reading these boards, I've noticed that it appears that no 2 are alike.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views