Need help!

Karen W.
on 9/26/05 6:04 am - Worcester, MA
I've been a member of OH for over a year now but have yet to post. I'm getting desperate now. My PCP, my orthopedics doc and my mental health therapist all agree that I need gastric bypass surgery. I saw my orthopedics doc last week and he basically said that my knee arthritis is so bad that without GBS I will be unable to walk in two years. Because of my weight (325lbs) I am not a candidate for knee replacement surgery. Now the problem: I suffer from severe clinical depression, which is partly weight related but currently under control with meds and I have been hospitalized several times this past year. I went through the bariatric program at UMASS but I was told I needed to remain stable for one year before I can continue in the program. I applied to the Tufts-NEMC program and received a call today telling me I had to wait two years from the date of my last hospitalization before I could apply to the program. How come even with all my docs, even mental health saying I deperately need this surgery, I can't find anyone willing to do it? If anyone has any ideas for me I'd GREATELY appreciate it! Thanks, Karen
LilPork
on 9/26/05 11:30 pm - Townsend, MA
:o( I am sorry you are having a hard time! I wish you the best of luck and will pray for you.
Lynn C
on 9/27/05 4:58 pm
Sorry that you are having trouble - I don't know what their policy is but have you tried Beth Israel. They have a great program. Good luck, Lynn Banded 9/12/05 299.5/275/???/140
SteffieBear15
on 9/28/05 11:09 am - Medford, MA
Revision on 10/29/12
Hi Karen... I am sorry to hear about your situation... check out Newton Wellesley www.newtonwellesleywls.com I do not think they have a specific policy they would probably evaluate everybody on a case by case basis. Great program and very caring staff. Good luck to you!!!
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/05 9:51 am - haverhill, MA
I know that it would be a bit far to travel, but Dr Sheldon Randall is a good option for you. He has quite a bit of experience with all sorts of situations with pre ops and I am quite sure that he would be worth looking into. I have known several people that had been refused or postponed by other surgeons that Dr Randall can handle. He works out of Mass General Hospital in Boston and Lawrence Memorial in Medford, Ma. I know it is quite a trip from Worcester, but it sounds like you need this! He wasn't my surgeon, but I have many friends who have had good experience with him. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views