Did anyone have hair loss after surgery?

Lyndag5
on 8/26/05 10:01 am - Ashland, MA
I am scheduled to have surgery on 9/14/05 and was wondering if anyone experienced hair loss after wls?
~*Ellen H.
on 8/26/05 12:50 pm - Western, MA
YES! YES! YES! Mine started right around 6 weeks out and I am still waiting for it to stop. It is an unfortunate side effect that some of us go though. Good Luck with your upcoming surgery! Ellen
Ellen I.
on 8/27/05 12:44 am - Maynard, MA
I had my RNY on May 11, 2005. I am losing my hair. I am losing quit a bit. I have no balding spots that I can see as of yet but my clothes, shower, hair brush and bed linens are covered every day. I just did some blood work so I havent gotten those results back yet. So I am not sure if it is nutritional or not. The hair loss would not have stopped me from having my surgery. I am 68 pounds lighter and feeling like a whole new person. I wish you nothing but success on your surgery. Ellen
Lyndag5
on 8/27/05 9:17 am - Ashland, MA
Ellen, Congratulations on your weight loss. I am alittle nervous about the surgery but when I weight the pros and cons I say to myself "well, the pros win". I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea about 2 years ago. During that time I have tried to use the Cpap without success. The second step was to try two surgeries but they still didn't work. I don't want to where the cpap for the rest of my life so I'm using all options. The doctor said that wls helps a lot of sleep apnea patients to the point where they do not have to use their cpap machines ever again. Hopefully this will hold true for me. Ellen was were you really sore after surgery? Lynda
Lyndag5
on 8/27/05 9:21 am - Ashland, MA
Ellen, Sorry about the spelling. I was cooking dinner and being interupted by my two beautiful children between sentences. Lynda
Ellen I.
on 8/27/05 9:33 am - Maynard, MA
Lynda, Please dont apologize, I have 9 year old twin girls, I completely understand. When I had my surgery I had it done laprascopically. I felt great. I did not have any pain but I was exhausted. Try to have some help with you for atleast the first week to help with the kids. I did go back to work after 2 weeks and did not have any trouble. My biggest problem was the first two weeks I cried all the time, I felt I had made a big mistake. I wanted to eat so badly. After that I felt wonderful. So try to prepare yourself for a difficult begining. I pray it will be easier for you but just in case. Most of all relish in the upcoming weightloss. You are about to embark on a whole new world. Ellen
Lyndag5
on 8/27/05 12:46 pm - Ashland, MA
Ellen, Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You have been very helpful. How much weight do you want to loss? My BMI is 38.9 and I am only 4' 10'' tall. I hope to lose about 80 pounds. Hopefully this will make my sleep apnea disapear Lynda
cindy calder
on 8/27/05 2:25 pm - cleveland, TN
the hair loss part is scary for me...for yrs i look like i shed..been like that since i was 15..i brush my hair and brush is full and my clothes have my hair all over them how much more hair can one lose lol....and go figure my hair is thick cindy
debbie3855
on 8/28/05 7:44 am - Havehill, MA
Oh yeaaa.....My hair has been falling out like crazy!!! but I wouldn't change a thing......Well maybe a few things but I am down 90 pounds......But I am going back in the hospital AGAIN!!! This is the 4th time...this time he found a lump on my abdomen wall, he is pretty sure it is a hernia...so September 9th here I go again!
Lyndag5
on 8/28/05 8:22 am - Ashland, MA
Does anyone know what causes the hair loss and is there something that can be done to avoid hair loss? I would like to keep my hair on my head rather than in the sink. Lynda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views