brushed under the rug, again!!!

donna C.
on 8/20/05 12:49 pm - east boston, MA
I am hoping that I may get input from others who have had simular experiances. After (phys., psyc.,and nutr.) exams, I have been accepted for surgery at BIG Boston hospital and was told that the next day insurance preapproval would be sent. THAT WAS MID MARCH, THIS IS MID AUGUST! After many calls over the past months to "GBP" program,and many putoffs and stallings. I called the insurer to find out my status. Well quess what? THEY NEVER EVEN SENT IT! I recalled the program and they told me I had NO RIGHT to call the insurer!!! I recalled the insurer, just to recheck there was no mistake. They said I would have heard from them within 21 days, also I have every right to ask about my case, and want me to file a grievance against the hospital. The not-so -funny thing is I HAD THE SAME EXPERIANCE AT ANOTHER MASS HOSPITAL! I am disabled and am on a state insurance program (medicare/medicaid). They pay less for medical services than other insurance comps. do. The hospitals cannot outright discriminate or they will lose other patients. But, this proceedure must be so expensive that they try to discourage you instead, but run up some decent sized bills first! I have hoped that a gastric bypass would help me regain my life. I have multiple health problems(diabetes,neuropathy,high b.p.,arthritis, degenerative disk disese(requires daily narcotics),thyroid problems,sleep apnea, kidney problems,edema,etc). Next to divine healing this was my only hope for a improvement in quality of life. I'm losing this hope now!
Stella E.
on 8/20/05 9:11 pm - Melrose, MA
Hi Donna Dont get discouraged. First, you are great by being your own advocate. that insurance in particular has a 6 month medically supervised nutrition requirement. This means that you need to attend a medically supervised nutritionist and be followed for 6 months. I dont think they mean to delay it but it may be that they are getting the ducks in order. It might be worthwhile to schedule a phone call or visit with the program coordinator to review your case. Find out what the scoop is! You can also review with a medical person or have copies of your medical records as part of your patient rights. This may make you feel better because you know where you stand from the program point of view. Just from visiting people's profiles, alot of people have the same insurance you do and get it done. If you have all the information then you are better equipt to deal with the situation! Good luck! Stella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views