Pat Brody shelter

jellyroll
on 8/19/05 10:22 pm - NH
I dont know if anyone remembers, but July 12th I brought my cat Jasmine to the Pat Brody cat shelter. My husband has asthma and is allergic to her-after all these years(10). If it was just him, he could live with it, but my 3 yo daughter is showing signs of being allergic also. So with a heavy heavy heart I surrendered her. It broke my heart. I have never cried so much........ Well last night I got my email and my cat Jasmine has been adopted!!!!!! An 84 year old lady named Mary adopted her last weekend. Her last cat died a month ago and she liked Jasmine from the moment she read about her. I AM SO FRIGGIN HAPPY!!! I started bawling when I read it. She even sent pictures!-still crying- I had to tell someone!!! BYE! CHris
CelticRose
on 8/19/05 11:06 pm - MA
AWESOME Chris ! ! ! ! ! I remember it was such a difficult thing that you had to do out of Love for your daughter. How wonderful it must be to know that Jasmine is bringing joy to an 84 yo woman who must have felt her loss as well. Glad to see there is some happiness in your heart again where Jasmine is concerned. Carolyn
jellyroll
on 8/20/05 1:32 am - NH
THanks Carolyn! I was so excited to hear Jasmine has a home! I havent talked to you in while. THings have been busy here. I just finished school and now my son is starting 1st grade! We are getting the house appraised today for a home equity loan for an addition. Our house seems to be getting smaller every day! I will chat with you sometime soon! Chris
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/05 11:09 pm - haverhill, MA
I am so happy to hear this! Your kitty has a nice home.
jellyroll
on 8/20/05 1:33 am - NH
Yes she does! I hope I can see her someday. We will have to see! Chris
emme819
on 8/20/05 5:58 pm - Worcester, MA
I am so happy for you. A little story about my cat. I have an obnoxious little dog that I adore and spoil rotten. I have always wanted a cat, but have been turned down at every shelter because of my dog. I was at a shelter one day, checking out the cats, when I stuck my fingers inside the cage of this male orange tiger cat. The shelter worker told me he wouldn't come near me, he wouldn't eat, he was miserable, etc. Next thing I know, this big orange head is pressed up into my fingers for a scratch. Then he jumped down and ate all his food. The shelter worker couldn't believe it. She recommended that I be allowed to adopt the cat but I was again turned down because of the dog. Fast forward a couple months and I get a call from the shelter - do I still want the cat? Turns out he was 8-9 years old and getting crankier by the day, and starting to pick fights with the other cats and especially with the kittens. He was about to be deemed "unadoptable" and likely put down (even though they advetise they are a no kill shelter - don't get me started). I took him immediately, as a "foster" to see if they could place him elsewhere. Of course they couldn't, becuase of his age. True to form, he and my dog hate each other but we've all come to a compromise of sorts and have learned to co-exist. He is no longer a foster but has become my kid. LOL. The kicker is this lovely old cranky curmudgeon of a cat was surrendered because his elderly owner had to go into a nursing home. Her family wanted nothing to do with this cat, and I'm not sure the news that he was adopted ever got through to the woman, so she doesn't know how much I love him and am glad he is mine! Or that I am his, since he pretty clearly picked me. So, you've done this woman a lovely thing by giving her a new companion, and you have been blessed by having Jasmine go to a home where she is sure to be spoiled and doted on. I just wish I could let my cat's former owner know the same is true of her big annoying orange boy (whom I wouldn't trade for a million bucks!). I'm so glad for all of you. Sounds like things turned out well. Mary Ellen
jellyroll
on 8/21/05 6:55 am - NH
Things turned out so much better than I had hoped for. I didnt think she would ever be adopted because of her age. But low and behold, someone is going to love her as much as I do. I just hope her new mommy will let me come visit. I miss her so much. My daughter and husband are both breathing easier, I guess that is more important. Thanks for your story. I had a male orange tabby for 10 years. Then he got sick when I moved out. His name was Poo. I have always had a cat. My first cat was named CC for Christines Christamas cat. I got him when I was 4 and he died when I was 21. Talk about heartbreak. Maybe if you ask the shelter they will let the previous owner know and maybe she will want to contact you. I know I really appreciated knowing Jasmine had a nice home. I started bawling as soon as I read the email! Chris
emme819
on 8/21/05 12:19 pm - Worcester, MA
I have wanted to let this lovely woman know that her cat is happy and spoiled, but unfortunately, the shelter's only contact with her is through her family (nieces and nephews I think) and they aren't interested in hearing about this. At least that's the gist of what I have heard. Maybe I'll email again and see if I could handwrite a note to her to get forwarded. And, God forbid, if she's passed now, I hope she can look down from heaven and see what a happy boy he is! He even goes for walks with me and the dog at night sometimes. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad your cat story has a happy ending! Mary Ellen
Barb H.
on 8/24/05 10:16 pm
Mary Ellen, Do it - write the note and try to get it through to her. Just wanted to add my support for such an act of kindness that I know would be WONDERFUL. Maybe you could even arrange a visit someday. The thought of giving up pets to go to a nursing home just gets to me deeply. Love, Barb H.
Stella E.
on 8/20/05 9:14 pm - Melrose, MA
I adopted my dog from a rescue program and sent a note from my dog to her former owners, telling them "I have a good home and yard, etc." I had known the man was heartbroken when he had to give her up because the wife was ill. I felt that was the least I could do. Im so glad I did that after hearing your story! Thanks for sharing! Stella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views