gastric byapss hernia repair?

gloria V.
on 8/15/05 12:46 pm - Salem, MA
Hi, I am having open ryn umbilical hernia repair and gallbladder removed. I am frightened about the hernia, as my grandmother passed at a very early age, just going in to have a hernia repaired. it strangelated while she was on the table. It is getting closer now, I am thinking of asking the Dr to wait on the hernia until I loose some weight? Has any one had hernia repair at the same time as the bypass? Thank you GLoria
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 8/15/05 1:04 pm - 128 Belt, MA
HI Gloria..I can't comment on the hernia repair...but I'm so glad you are on track with getting your surgery. I remember 2 mos ago you were devistated and thought no surgeon would touch you. NOw they want to perform a double surgery! However the surgery panns out, I wish you the best and I am glad you are in competent hands. Joan
Carrie N.
on 8/19/05 12:49 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Gloria, I just had lap RNY on August 2. I was not aware that I had a hernia, but the surgeon found a hernia about the size of a baseball at the site of a previous c-section. He repaired the hernia at the time of the surgery. The surgery was long (over 6 hours instead of the usual 2) but this was also due to the fact that I am tall and very long waited so there was lots of space in there, and I have had 3 c-sections, so there was a lot of scar tissue. If no one told me I had a hernia repair, I never would've known, as I don't believe there was any additional pain, and, truth be told, I have been relatively pain-free since 6 hours post-op. The incision for the hernia repair was large (about 6" long, going from right under my belly button to the c-section scar), but, in retrospect, I feel it is better to have it done at the same time as RNY. It didn't complicate recovery, and it is better than having to have a second surgery. The surgeon said he was unable to use mesh for the repair due to gastric juices in the abdomen, but as of my check-up yesterday, all's well. And, I lost 32 pounds in 2 weeks! Good luck in whatever you decide! Carrie
Luann S.
on 8/19/05 1:12 pm - Randolph, MA
I had an umbilical hernia repair with my lap RNY last year. It was just a few extra stitches above my belly button. Talk to your surgeon about your fears. If your grandmother died from a hernia repair at a young age it must have been quite some time ago and surgical procedures are greatly changed. Also, it may have been strangulated and become infected which may have lead to her death rather than the surgery itself. Find out as much as you can and talk to your doctor about it. I just had an incisional hernia at my lap site repaired 2 weeks ago-local anesthesia and sedation, which made me very talkative. The repair was more uncomfortable than I expected, but now doing fine. Even went back to yoga this week! Good luck! Luann laprny 9/14/04 -85 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views