Hernia repair?

Carrie N.
on 8/9/05 12:18 pm - Pigeon Forge, TN
My WLS was last Tuesday, and lasted over 6 hours due to a hernia repair and "long abdomen." The doctor said it was "difficult but went well," so I assumed I was all set, until the follow-up call from the doctor's office yesterday. Apparently, the hernia from my c-section was about the size of a baseball and he did stitch it, but because of the gastric juices he could not use mesh as he normally would in a repair. So, long story short, he is going to check it next week, and if it has not healed properly, will go back in and repair it with the mesh. Yuck! 2 surgeries in a few weeks? Has this happened to anyone else? Incidentally, I had lap RNY, but have 11 incisions, and the hernia repair incision does not look like a lap incision (it is over 6" long). Thanks for the advice if anyone has any experience. Carrie
ginny1029
on 8/9/05 9:49 pm - Taunton, MA
Carrie, I had lap RYN in August of 2004 and when they did my surgery they discovered a hernia from my c-section but did not know about it going in. Do to the reason of not being able to place the mesh for fear of infection they did a minor repair of the hernia knowing eventually I would be having to have further surgery at some point. I was hoping as was my surgeon since it was not bothering me at the time to wait until I lost all my weight and have the hernia repair and plastic surgery at the same time. In May it really started to bother me and so I had it done then. In my opinion the hernia surgery was more painful and has taken longer to recover from then the lap rny but both procedures were done lap. Any questions feel free to e-mail me personally. Ginny M.
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 8/9/05 9:59 pm - 128 Belt, MA
Carrie, Sorry you have learned of this news to burst your bubble. I know how happy you were with the surgery and how good you have been feeling. Think of it this way...Praise the Lord that you had a skilled Doc who knew the best way to handle this and didn't butcher you up trying to be superman and overdoing it. Try to put you mind in the frame that you are the luckiest gal in NH and you will be healed from both surgeries in no time at all! I wish you the best, and hope the 2nd surgery goes as well as the first! Joan
Carrie N.
on 8/10/05 7:57 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
I agree, Joan, Dr. Lautz is great. And I may not have to have a second surgery, it may heal properly. When I had a fit in the hospital on the second night and wanted to go home, they called Dr. Lautz and he came himself to talk me out of it. I agree I am very lucky that I was able to go to this hospital. Carrie
debbie3855
on 8/11/05 12:45 pm - Havehill, MA
I had the exact same thing in March, I was back in in May for a stitch infection and then June for dehydration and then in July for 2 ulcers.....But i agree Dr. Lautz is the best!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views