HELP protein supplements

fireballhead
on 8/8/05 2:24 am - Amesbury, MA
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of getting ready for surgery. The surgeon wants me to loose 10% of my weight pre-op. Which means I need to loose 30 lbs. I have already lost about 4-5 trying to make better choices and eating more protein, lower carbs, so now only 25 more to go.... Which gets me to my question..... For those of you that use protein supplements, which ones do you like the best? Which ones taste the best and have the best protein to carb ratio? Any advice would be great. I figure as the weeks go on... I can slowly substitute my meals for protein drinks or bars and that will help me better prepare for surgery as well... Thanks!!!!! Kimberly
Dave_K
on 8/8/05 10:47 am - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
Hi Kimberly I found that supplementing with whey protein powder helps me meet my protein intake levels. Whey protein powder is popular among weight lifters and body builders since it is easily metabolized, high protein with little fat or carbs. I make a whey protein shake 5 or 6 times a week and have lost very little lean muscle after my surgery, just the fat has melted. BJs Wholesale Club sells good whey protein powder for about $30 for a 5 pound drum or you can go to GNC or other fitness retailer for it. The brand I used to buy at BJs was called "Big Whey" and the chocolate flavor actually had Hershey as the flavor/cocoa supplier. It tastes great. I mix it with mil**** and an occasional banana. My local BJs now carries another brand of whey protein powder and I can't comment on its taste since I've yet to try it. Hope this helps and good luck! Dave 318/195/185
mikey
on 8/8/05 11:29 am - Where the fun never ends, CA
Hi Kimberly, I found that almost everyone in my old support group in California found different ones they liked. Pro Rated from Costco was a cheap option and the Vanila mixed really well with Crystal Light Classic Orange. But for the quickest and easiest one, I go with Isopure - premixed - and get them on line at vitamin shoppe. I like them because they were easiest and I could bring them to work premade and it helped me skip a meal and then two a day before surgery. Again, everyone I know had different tastes and for some ideas on flavors there is a community section here that has recipes and some for shakes.. they have some really creative ones too. I moved home to Newburyport so please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. Mikey
HeidiLeigh29
on 8/8/05 1:05 pm - Montague, MA
Hi, I see this question asked alot on the main message board. Many people recommend going to www.bariatriceating.com.. the protein delight smoothiesthe most common favorites seem to be the very vanilla berry, Alpine Milk Chocolate and Strawberry White Chocolate. I am going to order a sampler after I get back from vacation...but I asked others if they really do "LOVE" the taste of these or if they are just the best choice out there for protein so it is most tolerable...and people responded to me that they do indeed love these and they are yummy. Every one's tastes are different that is why I want the variety pack and also I have tried isopure from GNC and I HATED it... the only one I've tried that I can tolerate so far is adkins strawberry, but I get sick of it quick..I've also been able to use GNC whey protein powder unflavored and doctor it up so I can drink it...but that gets boring too after a while.. good luck to you, Heidi PS As a kid we use to go camping every year in Amesbury and I remember I use to love the roads there..they had a reddish tint in the pavement..or pavers in the street or something was different about the roads. we camped at Tuxbury Pond camp ground (and Weemac before it was bought by Tuxbury Pond side), I use to love it there!!
tools
on 8/9/05 11:09 am - Middleton, MA
Hi Kim, I can help you with this one! Unjury makes awesome Whey Protein products. I have bought them and I do like them. You can mix the unflavored brand with anything like, pudding, juice, smoothies. This is the website--www.unjury.com. It comes within one week. I bought the sample pack to start with and I just placed an order for the travel pack size to bring to work. Good Luck----Gail
lily K.
on 8/13/05 3:28 am - brockton, MA
dear kim i have found the best way to find a protein powder you can tolerate is to order samples, bariatriceating.com and vitalady.com both offer single samples that you can buy and try. i have heard people rave about Necter protein powder but i found it very after tasty. i am now using Elite protein powder, i buy vanilla so you can doctor it up with a little frozen fruit. i also like their orange flavor, i mix with about 6oz of low cal OJ in the morning. i also bought one of those Majic Bullet blenders at BJ's and find that about 6 oz of crushed ice, a scoop of protein powder and 4-6oz of skim milk and i have a good 30 grams of protein in. good luck on your journey!!
suzend
on 8/18/05 5:05 am - Groton, MA
After surgery, I ordered a bunch of different samples from www.vitalady.com. Once I found one I truly liked, I did a search on the internet to find the best price. I usually buy 2 five lb containers at a time. My fave is the Champion Pure Whey Stack in chocolate. I do two shakes a day w/about 4 oz of water. I use 1-1/2 scoops per shake to get in about 30grams of protein per shake. Another protein I like is Nectar in Fuzzy Navel. I stick with those because they seem to be the ones I can tolerate and stomach each and every day. The protein shakes are supplements only NOT meal replacements so remember this after surgery!! Good luck to you! Suzen 7 months out -94 lbs!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views