MA, meet w/surgeon, so excited!!!!!

fireballhead
on 7/21/05 12:31 am - Amesbury, MA
Well everyone I have some updates to give. First off, I originally thought that I would have to wait until December, before getting a surgery date. The woman that I work for is going on maternity leave in August and would not be back (that is if she comes back****il November or December. I didn't think that there was anyway that I would be able to take off a few weeks with her being out. But...... I spoke with someone at work yesterday about taking the time off and they were extremely supportive and said that I would be allowed whatever was needed for time off and support. So it looks like I will not have to wait until December, and October is looking more realistic for a surgery date. I met with the surgeon (Dr. Buckley) yesterday and he was great! I instantly felt comfortable with him. He is funny, witty and extremely knowledgeable. You know all the things that you look for in a surgeon. He was no Dr. Shepard (Grey's anatomy, for those of you who don't know him), but that was ok. For those of you who are interested I am in love with Dr. Shepard from the new hit show on ABC Grey's Anatomy. (Sunday nights 10pm) He said that I would be a perfect candidate for the surgery (RNY) and most importantly to me he said that I would be a great candidate for the laparoscopic version which is much less invasive! He said that I had a wide rib cage that would allow him some extra room to work around (lucky for me I guess). He did say that he would like me to lose 30 lbs (10% of me) before surgery, which I was expecting. This was to shrink the liver to allow for even more space to work in there. He was really sweet about it. He said, all you have to do is lose 30 lbs and then I will give you the tools to keep it off. So I guess that starts soon. I might have my last hoooo rahhhh this weekend and then off to the big D, diet that is.... Any ideas of what I should do to loose the tonage? I'm thinking high protien, low carbs? What have you all done to get off the pre surgery requirements? Well as you can probably tell from this post I am ecstatic!!!! I have the psych appointment on July 29th, and then an appointment with the heart and wellness center on August 9th, to meet with a nutritionist and a few other folks for possible testing I guess... Then that is it.... All paperwork will get processed and I will be given a date. The Dr. said from my appointment yesterday that my surgery date would be about 3 months!!!!
Kate Z
on 7/21/05 1:40 am - MA
Dear Kimberly.... CONGRATS... The time will fly... I was an idiot a month before surgery and did all the wrong things. I think they call it the "last supper syndrome". I ate and drank to excess. I cruised to the Bahamas and had a two week party before my final pre-op. Needless to say I was at my heaviest ever 2 weeks prior to surgery. At my pre-op appt I was told to go on a liquid diet until my op date. This consisted of some kind of protein drink 60-70grms per day and water, water, water. This helped to shrink the liver out of the way (and unpickle it at the same time).... This also had the added benefit of supressing my appetite and teaching me to sip instead of gulp (very good thing to get used to)... You always have a bottle of something going after WLS.... If you trade one meal a day for a protein drink like SF CIB for a month while watching the calories and fat, then switch to two drink meals the month before, then just protein drinks for the last two weeks, you should get there. Lucky for me that my Doctor didn't require a pre-op loss goal or I'd still be waiting for surgery... Best of Luck Kate Z 313/263/125
fireballhead
on 7/21/05 2:13 am - Amesbury, MA
The pre-op weight loss is not required for the surgery, just for me to have it done via Lap vs. Open. I want the speedy recovery of the Lap. He said that on the surgery day, if I have not lost anything, I will have two options.... Either have it done open, or wait... Trust me... I will lose the 30 lbs needed. If I just push water and eat high protein for two weeks, I can normally drop 10 lbs.... but I can stick with it for 3 months? Awwww the all mighty will power..... So I think that I'm going to have my last suppers this weekend or next week and then form a game plan.... Who knows what that will be... Great idea to start slowly switching to liquids!!! Thanks!!!
tools
on 7/21/05 7:23 am - Middleton, MA
You an do it Kimberley!! Best incentive ever. Let me think about it, hummm---open--lots of pain, out of work 4 weeks or so, large incision, more chance of infection-----Lap---small incisions, less pain, out of work 2 weeks, showing off your belly in a 2 piece bathing suit next year!!!! I want a tatoo across my lower back --come with me and get one?? I will be right here for ya----good luck----Gail
fireballhead
on 7/22/05 12:04 am - Amesbury, MA
Oh I know... this is the best incentive EVER!!! I cut down the diet cokes down to only two yesterday. And I drank lots of water yesterday. I'm off to a good start today with a large bottle of water. I know that I will be able to do this!!! I will see you on Monday at the support group!!! Have a GREAT weekend!!! I will think about that tat on my lower back.... Sure does sound inviting!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views