Just wondering if this is normal pain post surgery

Lori M.
on 7/19/05 12:35 pm - Weymouth, MA
Hi, I had my surgery on July 13th. This is my first post. Everything has gone so well, I'm almost nervous waiting for the other shoe to drop. The only thing that is bothering me is a pain in my lower left abdominal area, (well below my incisions). It feels like a pulled muscle, and hurts most if I use my left leg first to, let's say get into bed, but not really bad pain - a 4 on a scale of 1-10. I'm feeling so good otherwise, regarding pain, I often forget that I need to be careful and have stretched in the wrong way a few times on this side. The 3rd day in the hospital, while sitting in the chair, I leaned over the left arm of the chair and that is when this pain really started. I told the nurse, who did not seem concerned. With such small incisions, I did not think the muscles so far away from the incisions would be effected. How long should I expect this type of pain? I've seen people say they are walking 2-3 miles a day in their 2nd week, but I don't see how I could do that with this muscle thing nagging me. I am walking 5 times a day down to the end of my street (less than 1/4 mi), since Sunday the 17th when I came home. How physical could you all get and when did the pain subside. I do use the pain meds when it hurts and I'm trying to sleep but otherwise no, because I'm afraid I'll mask an issue. On a positive note... this is so great! I feel like I'm on my way to a new life. I weighed 286 when I started this process, 267 when I went into surgery and weighed myself this morning at 257. I'm so amazed.
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/05 12:09 am - haverhill, MA
It is probably just a muscle thing...but it it continues and it worries you....definitely pursue it with the doc.
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 7/20/05 12:55 am - 128 Belt, MA
Congratulations on your surgery! I agree, if you still are not certain about your pain get in touch with the Doc. That's what we pay them the big bucks for! Don't go into the weekend without feeling better. Joan
DJJCHARRIS
on 7/21/05 3:14 am - Winchendon, MA
The pain on the left was considered normal for me. The left side is where they do most of the internal work. It should get better. However, you may want to ask about it when you go for follow-up. You are doing awesome and good luck. Dawn 1/8/04 -121
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views