Caritas St Elizabeth's Medical Center, Boston pt's

gia2871
on 7/18/05 4:04 am - RI
Anyone have their surgery here? My 1st consult with the psychologist and Dr N. Fontaine is tomorrow. Will they make me lose weight before I meet the surgeon? My bmi is 42.8. I am afraid if I lose even 10 lbs I will drop below the 40 mark, and then will I still qualify for the surgery?
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/05 4:09 am - haverhill, MA
I have not heard about their program so I have no info for you...I just wanted to wish you well.
tools
on 7/18/05 11:50 am - Middleton, MA
Hi there, I have the same concern. My BMI is 40.1 right now and my surgeon appointment is tomorrow at Salem Hospital. Every program is different. I meet the surgeon before anyone else in the process. I can't lose any weight, or my insurance might not cover it. I will know more tomorrow. Good luck--to both of us!! Gail
sheila T.
on 7/19/05 5:43 am - anderson, in
I am in the starting phase there. They do make you loose 5% of body weight but that should not change your BMI that significantly. I am very happy with the program so far but I wi**** could go faster!
sheila T.
on 7/19/05 5:44 am - anderson, in
That's not me. I am not Sheila Thompson. I am Sheila T. Gotta get this computer thing figured out.
Lynn O.
on 7/19/05 11:21 am - Taunton, MA
Hi, I had my surgery done there in March. I love them and you will be in great hands with Dr. Fontaine and the surgeons. Yes, you do have to lose weight prior to the surgery, 5%. They start from your original weight when they do your BMI - so no matter how much weight you lose prior to surgery, they will keep you at the 42.8 mark. I had the same question as I only had to lose 14lbs prior to surgery, but I lost 35. Good luck to you and your going to love them there~ Lynn
gia2871
on 7/31/05 1:16 am - RI
Thanks for your reply. How have you been doing since your surgery?
Dave_K
on 7/19/05 10:26 pm - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
Hi GG I had my RNY surgery at CSEMC last summer and I had to lose 5% of my weight which wasn't too bad since I only had 15 pounds to lose in 3 months. I recall meeting with the surgeon about a month into the program and before I lost all 15 pounds. From my experience, your insurance approval and the program's surgery approval are based on your BMI when you get into the program, not your later BMI. I wish you best of luck and hope you enjoy the same awesome experience I had with Saint E's Center For Weight Control! Dave K 318/195/185
gia2871
on 7/20/05 10:03 am - RI
Thanks to everyone who has responded, it really helps. I met with Dr Fontaine yesterday, and she was very nice. I am already scheduled for my sleep study, and I think that's the last test prior to approval. This seems like it's flying by now! ...GG
Nena
on 7/27/05 6:33 am - Quincy, MA
Hi GG, just wanted to let you know that I've been going thru all of the protocols at St.E's also. The Staff is just wonderful! Have you also had the ultrasound, completed all of the groups, nutrition, etc. already? I have my appointment with Dr. O'Donnell next week and am very excited! I did also have to lose 12 pounds, but, what ever it takes. Hopefully, I can have the surgery the end of September....we'll see. Noticed that you live in R.I.; I actually live in Mansfield; not too far. Best of luck to you. Let me know how you made out with the sleep study!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views