Surgery Date 7/25

moviefan
on 7/14/05 11:57 am - Arlington, MA
I am very scared. All my experiences thus far have been positive. I've heard good things about MGH, the weight loss team, seems very professional and caring. My surgeon Dr. Matthew Hutter, was very honest, and direct, about side effects and his credentials. Everyone there keeps telling me what a great candidate I am for the Gastric Bypass. I'm young, not heart problems, good cholesteral, no high blood pressure, nothing wrong with me except the weight I can't lose. I'm just so scared something is going to go wrong. All those stats 1 in 50, or 1 in 200 run through my mind and that is all I think of. Telling people has been hard, I feel so ashamed. I only told my family last week, after serious pressure from the weight loss clinic. Even work, I've only told 1 or 2 people. Anyone who's had this surgery have any insight?
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 7/14/05 12:42 pm - 128 Belt, MA
First-Congratulations on your decision to change your life! Second--Don't feel embarrased. Do other people tell your their deep dark secrets? Unfortunately-because our excess weight shows--they know our passion--eating. Third--Tell only the people you need to. You cannot go back and "untell" people. People can be very hurtful and rude--purposely or not. Just tell people you are having a hernia operation. When you start to loose the weight--tell them you are taking dieting seriously--you are seeing a dietician for counselling(so they don't think you are ill) and when they compliment you on your weight loss--Thank Them---don't turn down or deny the compliment. Best to you on your surgery! Joan
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/05 10:45 pm - haverhill, MA
Good luck Christopher! This is such an exciting journey. The choice to tell others about your surgery.....totally yours. Do what makes you comfortable.
moviefan
on 7/15/05 12:39 am - Arlington, MA
Thanks for the responses. I guess my other question is, Are my fears valid? Was this something you've gone through it terms of thinking of all that may go wrong (e.g. Leaking, clots, etc,etc.)
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 7/15/05 1:39 am - 128 Belt, MA
Christopher-Stats are stats-nationally. But check the stats at your hospital. At the Brigham they offer the # up at the info session. The national stats include docs that do bariatric surgery 2 x year as well as 52 weeks a year. As far as confidence level-be assured that you have chosen a major boston medical center. THese doctors are highly skilled in their overall surgery skills--including bariatric. It's normal to have concerns, so keep reading literature and the boards. Also--discuss the concerns with your doc--He might have addl information to put you at ease. Althought this surgery is life-saving--it is also elective surgery and can be postponed for a bit until you feel 100% comfortable. Joan
Dave_K
on 7/15/05 2:38 am - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
Hi Christopher! Welcome to the board! A year ago I was in your situation. I was worried about the surgery, its risks, and I was unsure who to tell about my surgery. I assessed of my health, both physical health and mental health. I decided that if my weight problem wasn't corrected, my health was going to deteriorate over time. Sure, I was only 40 and in fairly decent health, but the obesity related health problems were starting to set in. In my mind, the risks of having surgery were less than the certain risks involved in letting my health deteriorate from obesity. It's as simple as that. Which is the greater risk to you; having surgery or slowly dieing from weight related issues? I can relate to your embarrassment about telling others about having surgery. We live in a society that often condemns obese people for weakness, gluttony, or personality flaws while obesity is obviously a medical condition. We see ads for Bow Flex, The Abdominizer, and zillions of other machines, cures and pills people try but weight problems are not solved by them. No one WANTS to be obese yet prior to WLS most of us struggled with the issue daily. Your health and your struggle with weight loss are private matters you have had to endure on your own for some time and if you feel more comfortable keeping your WLS to yourself, that's fine and understandable. I've kept pretty quiet about it too, aside from pouring out my heart here on the board! Christopher, we only get one life to live, so its up to us to try and live that life fully and happily. In my life the WLS has given me a huge improvement in my quality of life, and hopefully a year from now you'll be in my shoes, telling an anxious and uncertain WLS candidate how the surgery was a great step for you! Warm regards, Dave K 318/195/185
moviefan
on 7/15/05 2:46 am - Arlington, MA
Thanks. I appreciate the support. I don't think I will ever be 100 % until after the surgery, but I agree that the benefits outway the risks. Right now I (Thankfully), have no illness related issues. But as is I am running on borrowed time. I can't believe how much these boards really help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views