newbie considering lap banding vs. bypass - lots of questions

fireballhead
on 6/26/05 11:39 pm - Amesbury, MA
Thanks everyone for all of the information... I know that this is no magic cure all and i will have to use it as a tool, but i feel that i have struggled with this weight issue my entire life... and if i'm going to continue to struggle then i might as well have the best tools out there to help me. I'm still leaning towards the lap band, but i'm sure that i will learn so much information at my session tonight that i will be overwhelmed with info!!! haha... I have read most of your profiles and i get so inspired. It is so exciting to think that no only can i have this surgery but that there is this amazing net work of people out there willing to help and talk to me about it... Thanks!!!! I will be emailing some of you directly if that is ok!!! One other good note... i called my insurance co this morning and not only do they cover it, but my policy covers 100% so i'm so excited!!!
emme819
on 6/27/05 1:08 pm - Worcester, MA
Copngrats, Kimberly, sounds like you have great insurance. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and I hope you get to the losing side soon! Mary Ellen
Sarah S.
on 6/29/05 7:57 am - Boston, MA
Hi Kimberly, I was banded a month ago tomorrow. So far, it's been a very positive experience. I had the surgery on Thursday morning and was back to work the following Monday with no problem at all. I have five very small incisions that are now completely healed. For the first two weeks or so some things were difficult, like bending over or lifting heavy objects, but other than that I had absolutely no pain. It is true that you need to get your band filled six weeks or so after surgery (the time varies per patient), but from what I undertand the fill process takes less than 15 minutes. Most people have to go for more than one fill to get proper restriction and as you lose weight and lose fat around your stomach, you might have to get fills as well. The main reason I chose the band was the low mortality rate and the shorter recovery time. The weightloss may be slower, but I'm ok with that. From what I've heard, I expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week, so in a year I'll be at goal. I'm actually ahead of the game, as I've lost 15 pounds so far. Good luck with whatever you decide! Sarah
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views