really desperate for support

gloria V.
on 6/19/05 8:16 am - Salem, MA
Hi, my name is Gloria, I live in Salem Mass, I will try to make this short, I had lapband surgery in December 03, I was 398, had severe complications, and had it removed. the complications were due to my being so heavy. I am now at least 450, I can't move, hardly drive, I am suffering. My doctor offered Bypass, but said I must loose 100 pounds first, no if ands or buts. And on HMR, 500 calorie a day liquid, every day I wake I try so hard, by 3 I am famished and eating, I can't understand how I can want something so badly, yet keep sabotaging myself. looking for people to talk to, just some support, I am also a great listener. Thank you, Gloria, [email protected]
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/05 8:26 am - haverhill, MA
Hi Gloria, My name is Kim and I just emailed you privately. I would love to chat with you.
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 6/19/05 10:51 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Gloria, Sorry you are feeling so down. It looked like from your profile that you had the band in NY. Have you considered a consult a Boston Hospital. There are many in the city-with very experienced surgeons. Some surgeons don't have a weight limit--perhaps they would do RNY open vs.lap depending on the BMI. Some physicians do require and pre op weight loss and some don't. Also, All the Boston hospitals have support groups--a minimum of one time per month and some twice. Why don't you consider attending an info session at one or two of the hospitals to get the ball rolling. Also-perhaps you can schedule a therapist appointment to help you with your feelings and also to help with your self sagotaging. Gloria, I can tell you want something to change--for you have come her and post. I can feel your pain--I think we've all been there--I'm sorry you've been there/here twice. If you are truly interested in the Boston hospitals--feel free to email me and also to post here for people's impressions of their hospital. Good luck. Joan
John S.
on 6/20/05 8:25 am - Carver, MA
Gloria: My name is John. I had lap bypass at Tufts NE medical center on 1/19/2005. I am down 134 lbs whi*****ludes the 30 lbs i lost preparing for the operation. Dr Shikora is wonderful and considered one of the preeminent bypass surgeons in the country. He requires that you lose 10% of your body weight prior to surgery in order to increase the likihood of no complications durring the operation. I was 460 when I started their program and 430 on the day of the operation. 100 lbs is an awfull lot to expect you to lose prior to the surgery. You should ck out the Obesity Clinic at Tufts NE medical. You will not be sorry. good luck
Sally P.
on 6/20/05 8:46 am - Derry, NH
Gloria, I am not absolultely sure on what the weight limit is for Boston hospitals but I am having my bypass at Mass General in a few weeks and when I went to the preop meeting there was a man at the meeting who was going to MGH because Salem denied him because of his size and I believe he was in the 450 range. My weight is about 267. I think if you called NEMC and MGH that would be your best bet and I think you will be accepted. I cant believe they can expect you to lose 100 pounds. If we could all do that, they would be out of business. I think you are better off going to a Boston hospital anyway. Sally
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views