Weight Loss Before Surgery

Sally P.
on 6/16/05 12:22 pm - Derry, NH
My surgery is scheduled for July 22nd at MGH. I know some programs (not MGH) require weight loss prior to surgery. I have lost 10 pounds since mid April and would like to lose a few more before my surgery in five weeks. What are some of the methods used by people to achieve this? My current weight is around 269.
emme819
on 6/16/05 3:02 pm - Worcester, MA
I upped the amount of water I drank (since you're going to drink a ton afterwards anyway, if you're not in the habit now this will help) and I started walking a lot more. I also ditched diet soda. Mary Ellen
Kate Z
on 6/16/05 11:02 pm - MA
Dear Sally, I actually went on the "post op" diet for a week prior to surgery. 5-8oz protein shakes (SF CIB) and 56oz of water a day.... I think this really, really helped me sail through the surgery and the "head hunger" issues. I had surgery on a Monday and snuck into work on that Friday . I'm 24 days post-op and have lost 33 lbs so far.... Good Luck Kate Z
Linda D.
on 6/17/05 11:45 am - Walpole, MA
I joined Weigh****chers a couple of months before. I didn't have to lose a lot, but I wanted to make sure I didn't gain anything, which is what my doctor was very adamant about. WW helped me stay on track. Good luck.
DOMENICA J.
on 6/17/05 1:14 pm - SO DEERFIELD, MA
Sally....What a coincidence....I'm about 267lbs and am having Lap band surgery on July 22nd too!! My doctor doesnt require the weight loss but if you do diet a week to 10 days prior to surgery it helps shrink your liver so if the surgery is laproscopic they will be able to work around in there alot easier. I am trying low carb & then about a week prior I will be on liquid & protien shakes. Good luck & keep in touch! Domenica
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views