Embarrassing question but need to ask....

Sally P.
on 6/5/05 10:19 am - Derry, NH
I am still preop but I have read that after gastric bypass the patients have foul-smelling gas and stools and possibly uncontrollable bowel movements. This is pretty concerning to me. Is there something that can be done to help minimize this? Any information is much appreciated.
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/05 10:43 am - haverhill, MA
I have found that the foul smelling gas and stools are the result of eating certain foods that do not digest well in the post op body. Too many carbs (white starchy ones..bread, pretzels etc) will cause trouble for me. Also many sf products that have a high number of sugar alcohols (malitol, sorbitol etc) will cause trouble. If I stick with my food plan and stay away from trouble....the gas is not an issue .
Mea A.
on 6/5/05 2:56 pm - Western, MA
Hi Sally - I am almost a year post-op and have none of the problems that you are asking about. My pharts and bm are the same smell as pre-op. Sorry for the gross-out answer, trying to be honest here . The only thing that gives me "hubestank" pharts and diarrhea (not uncontrollable) are products with artificial sweeteners such as sugar free candies or cookies. But this was a problem for me pre-op as well. Good luck to you . Mea 7/12/04 -111 lbs
Debbie
on 6/6/05 1:37 am - W. Bridgewater, MA
I am 7 weeks post-op. I have a bit of gas but, for the most part, the smell is minimal. As far as BM's are concerned, no difference. Somebody was probably just exaggerating........... Good luck with the surgery. Debbie
emme819
on 6/6/05 10:44 am - Worcester, MA
I've heard that DS can cause more of a odor problem, and possibly more intense bowel movements than RNY, but I'm not sure. If you're thinking of having the DS, I'd check in with the knowlegeable folks on the DS board. As for the RNY, mine are all about the same as pre-op, only I poop WAY less. Mary Ellen
silverfish
on 6/15/05 7:16 pm - Boston, MA
Hehe there are no embarassing questions; we have no shame here. I fart TONS LESS, like maybe once a day as opposed to my pre-op constantly-slipping-one-out musical self. Go figure. And the poops are about the same, though obviously much less in quantity. I had heard this too, and figured no one would be smelling my poops, and having them come out of a newly slender butt would be worth it. I have roommates so I'm always shy about that though, so I just poop before showering... by the time I exit the bathroom you only smell shampoo.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views