Best of Boston (RNY Surgeon/Hospital)

Nena
on 5/26/05 12:00 am - Quincy, MA
Hi Rudee! We are very fortunate to live in Boston. It is the Medical Mecca of the country/world. I personally have chosen St. Elizabeth's WL Program and am extremely confident and pleased with the hospital and staff. I also know that Beth Israel & the Brigham & Women have outstanding programs as well and have several friends that have gone thru both; so, the choice is yours! Best of luck!
Rudie M.
on 5/26/05 12:12 am - Boston, MA
Hi Gerry! You're absolutely right about Boston ... I think there are so many great people here it makes the decision harder in some ways, but that's a good problem to have and I feel very fortunate to be here when it comes to medical stuff (and baseball of course). Thanks for putting in your two cents! Best wishes, Rudee
Linda D.
on 5/26/05 2:11 am - Walpole, MA
Hi Rudee, I agree that we are lucky to live in the Boston area. You will get to chose between the best of the best. I had my Lap RNY done by Dr. Michael Tarnoff at New England Medical Center. I started my journey in early January with visits to a psychologist and nutritionist, then I had to attend a 6-week behavior change seminar. I also was encouraged to attend a session by their exercise doctor, which I think is more beneficial afterward. So you can see there was plenty of prep work to do. My surgery was on 4/18, and all went well. They have as intense post-op programs as pre-op. There is a general RNY support group the 3rd Monday of every month. They also like you to sign up for a smaller, more personal group that meets once a month for 12 months. I am in the process of doing that now. Whichever hospital or doctor you chose, I wish you luck on your journey. Linda
SkinnyMe71805
on 5/26/05 6:59 am - Fitchburg, MA
I will be having my surgery at Umass Memorial Hospital in Worcester. I mainly chose because of location...but the more i learned about their program, the more i liked it. It has been a long process, but for me it coulndt have flown by any quicker. I will be having Lap RNY on July 18th With Dr.Czerniach. I started this process in Sept of 04 and I am just in Aww at how thorough and extensive this program is. There is no other program like it. But if you are looking to have your surgery in the next few months, you will have better luck taking a chance somewhere else. I just liked this program because of the behavioral eating classes. They want to make sure you are ready and have committed to making the changes in how you eat and live. Very good program, 3 very good surgeons.
Rudie M.
on 5/26/05 9:52 am - Boston, MA
Hi Neisha, wow, it sounds like UMass has met your expectations and exceeded them. It's a little far for me to travel, I'd like to be closer, but it's interesting to hear what about the program you like. I wish you all the best next month! Rudee
SkinnyMe71805
on 5/26/05 10:41 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Rudee, I know it seem far, but there were people in my behavioral eating class who were from CT and RI. It just depends on your personal preferance. But i will say that Prior to Umass entering my mind I was going to go with Beth Israel. Which didnt make sense bcasue it takes an hour and 20 minutes to get there from where I live, Where it only takes 30 to get to Worcester.
Carrie N.
on 5/26/05 10:54 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Rudee- I have not had surgery yet, but I have a date of Aug 2 at Brigham & Women's. I chose them partially because of the recommendations of people here, and I didn't have to jump through hoops. It seemed like every place here in NH wanted you to go to a bunch of support groups and losea lot of weight before you could even meet with a surgeon. I was also having difficulty documenting my weight, as my PCP and the hospital she is affiliated with all have the same 350-lb scales. I guessed my weight was 375, since that was what it was a year and a half ago. I was expecting the worst at my consult, and figured I may have gained another 50 lbs. Imagine my surprise when my weight was 370.4. I lost 4 1/2 lbs in a year and a half! I went to one information meeting on May 10 and had consult on May 20. I went to the consult with blood work resulty from my PCP, a gall bladder ultrasound report and my psych evaluation report, and was given a date that day, along with my 1 mandatory nutritionist visit appointment, and my pre-op appointments. I am pleased with my progress there, and feel very comfortable with the surgeon I chose. Also, even though I am from Massachusetts, I am from central Mass, and the only experience I have with any hospital in Boston is B&W. My friend had plastic surgery there a few years ago on a very dark port wine stain on his face and a very large lowe lip. He was thrilled and he looks wonderful. Best wishes to you, no matter where you end up. Carrie
majorcat
on 5/26/05 10:28 pm - Boston, MA
Hi Rudee I have worked with Drs Lautz, Robinson, Vernon from BWH and Dr. Hess from BMC., I agree with Joan, they are all excellent but you need to decide which surgeon meets your needs. I would highly recommend each one of them, they are all quite skilled surgeons. But for instance, Dr. Robinson does only open RNY to date, Dr. Lautz does laproscopic and open RNY as well as lap bands, and Vernon does Lap bands, Dr. Hess does laproscopic RNY and has been certified on lap bands and is doing them now. So, It really depends on what you want from the surgeon as well as the facility you will be followed up at. Dont forget to consider that you will need to do folllow up appts for at least 2 years after surgery and you will want to consider the availability and location of support groups as well. Anyway, thats just my 2 cents! Take care and good luck in your search. Natalie
slow and steady
on 5/27/05 3:24 am - MA
I really liked Dr Lautz. Theresa
Carrie N.
on 5/27/05 6:55 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Natalie, At the informaion meeting, they said Dr. Robinson is doing lap RNY as well now. Carrie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views