Open or Laproscopic RNY?

Jennifer L
on 5/22/05 8:09 am - Boston, MA
Hi everyone. I have my consult on Thursday and am still not sure whether I prefer open or lap rny. Both have pros and cons, so how did you decide which was best for you? I'd welcome your thoughts on the subject. Thanks!
happylady
on 5/22/05 11:17 am - west wareham, MA
Hi Jennifer, I started this journey not long ago and had the same question. I decided to meet with two surgeons, one did the procedure open and the other laproscopic. I decided to have it done laproscopic for a few reasons. faster recovery and I think less complications. Do your research and talk to people who have had both. Good luck with your consult and ask lots of questions. Remember, it cant hurt to talk with more than one doc before you decide. Let us know how it goes.
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 5/23/05 3:20 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Jennifer, whatever you and Dr.Lautz decide will be the right decision. He is an excellent surgeon and will help you with that decision. I hope you find comfort that you are in good hands---literally! Joan F
Carrie N.
on 5/23/05 9:40 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Joan, I agree. I have not had my surgery yet, but will on Aug 2. I met Dr. Lautz for my consult on Friday, and he was wonderful. My appt was 3:30 at Faulker. I got there at 2:30 and at 5 they sent me to Brigham, and I saw him at 7. Definitely worth the wait. He got into OR late and there were some complications. Even though I know he put in a very long day, he stayed late to see me, and I did not feel rushed at all. He encouraged questions, and just seemed very nice. I was very impressed. He also said he has had only 1 death in 600 procedures. I think that is amazing. I told him I wanted open because most of my weight is in my belly and I have had 3 previous abdominal surgeries, and am having my gall bladder out at the same time, I will be having the open. I thought this would make the open necessary, but he said they could try the lap, and convert if necessary. I feel more confortable with the open, so that is what I am having. Joan.....thank you so much for recommending Dr. Lautz! Also, I go for pre-op on July 21 to meet with NP and anesthesiologist, and I guess more blood. Is this just a standard blood draw like I just had (metabolic panel, blood count, etc), or something different? Thanks, Carrie
Ellen I.
on 5/23/05 5:03 am - Maynard, MA
Jennifer, I am a scrub nurse in the OR, if I needed to have the RNY through open belly, I probably would not have had the surgery. The risk of infection is far greater as well as the risks of complications. Laparscopic surgery has come such a long way, it is so safe and the recovery is minimal. You are able to go back to work within a couple weeks compared to a 6 week recovery for open. THis is just my opinion, you need to weigh the options out for yourself. Best wishes Ellen
Jennifer L
on 5/23/05 9:35 am - Boston, MA
This feedback is helpful. Thank you all
lmt516
on 5/23/05 10:52 pm - Brant Rock, MA
I had laproscopic and my recover was almost painless and vey very quick. I had already had my gallbladder out years before so this made it a bit easier. I also had to be close to 300, my surgeon did not recommend lap for those with severe belly fat or over 300. I was 321 at surgery but my belly was not dense enough to preclude lap. I would listen to both surgeons, ask lots of questions. Either way Good Luck!
EmbodySuccess
on 5/25/05 2:37 pm - Roswell, GA
Thank you, Ellen, for speaking up as an OR RN. I really cannot figure under what cir****tances, given a choice, opening the abdominal cavity would be preferable to the tiny little holes made by laparoscopic surgery! I don't even think the little pencil-eraser-size dots are there anymore! I mean, you'd really have to go looking for them! Laparoscopic doesn't slice through muscles, either. I'm willing to be educated as to under what medical cir****tances using the open method for RNY is safer, SO PLEASE POST. Lovingly, Lauralyn RNY (lap) 23/13/03 @ size 3X Today @ size 8
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views