Higher risk of heart attack?

issy2you
on 5/16/05 7:12 am - winthrop, MA
Hello all I hope everyone is doing great today!...I just had a question....I was just looking at the WLS memorial pages and I noticed a lot of the deaths were heart attacks...even months or years after surgery....Are people who have had WLS a greater risk for a heart attack? I just was wondering....with my surgery date approaching I'm kinda scared.
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/05 10:10 am - haverhill, MA
Keep in mind that this is just my opinion......people who are morbidly obese tend to have more heart problems than the average population. I suspect that some of the deaths on the memorial page had to do with hearts that were previously damaged by obesity. It seems to me that I have actually decreased my chances of severe heart problems by dropping that excess weight. It is natural to be scared....this is major surgery. I got through it by focusing on my goals....the reasons I had chosen to have this surgery. Good luck
Luann S.
on 5/16/05 10:13 am - Randolph, MA
My guess would be that the weight before surgery and other comorbidities had more to do with heart disease than the surgery itself. Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol all do damage to the vessels and organs over time and if the damage has already been done, the weight loss won't reverse it. Remember, this surgery really is about taking action against the disease of morbid obesity, which if left untreated would likely kill us anyway. We don't know the health status of those in the memorial pages. Talk it over with your surgeon if it is really worrying you, and best of luck with your upcoming surgery. Luann
ebonymami
on 5/20/05 2:39 am - Crofton, md
I suggest that you stay off of the memorial page. I came across that page prior to my surgery and it freaked me out, upset me and made me a nervous basket case. I went as far as taking notes of people that were around my age, what went wrong, I read there profile page to see what kind of illnesses they had prior to surgery etc. I was scared to death and I posted these feelings and i actully backed out of my surgery at one point just from reading the memorial page. Becasue I read it in depth most of the individual who died from heart attacks would have with or without the surgery they already had heart problems. This surgery sometimes makes it possible for some people to come off medications etc. but those who have been over weight for most of there lives, the damage has been done prior to the surgery. I finally just prayed about it, did my research for the best surgeon I could find with the best stats I could find and I had my surgery on March 30th. I'm glad I did, I'm down 53 pounds in 7weeks but I still take nothing for granted. I try to follow the rules and touch bases with my surgeon if I feel anything is wrong. I have 3 sons the youngest being 2 so it was a hard choice but i believe that in the end I made the right one. Step away alone and pray and see how you feel afterwards, follow Gods lead.....
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views