2nd surgeon consult

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/05 1:43 am - MA
My mother and grandparents came to Boston from New Jersey this week to meet with my surgeon on Wednesday afternoon. Ever since I first brought up the possibility of surgery, my family has been very, very against the entire idea. My surgeon (Dr. Tarnoff) was really wonderful in giving them an overview of surgery and why surgery was an option for me -- and answering all their questions. Last night, I went to my aunt's house in Dorchester for dinner and discussed surgery with my family for the first time since the family meeting with Dr. Tarnoff. The change in them is AMAZING - they're still not overly enthused about the prospect of surgery, but they actually understand why I want to have it done and they're being genuinely supportive. I'm not getting any more comments like, "You could lose weight on your own if you really tried" or "Why do you want to take the easy way out?" -- my family is starting to see this surgery as neccessary for me to lose weight. They have alot of worries, concerns, and anxieties about my safety and my having to go through another surgery, but so do I -- and last night, I got to discuss them for the first time b/c surgery isn't this huge conflict anymore...it's like I'm in this together with my family. I emailed my surgeon a short thank-you last night. This makes my decision SO much easier. I just finished finals and I leave for Washington, DC on Memorial Day weekend - I'm interning on Capitol Hill until early August. I'm about 90% sure I want to go through with surgery at this point, and if I can muster the remaining 10% in the next couple of months, I'll try to get on the schedule for mid-late August. If not, I'll be waiting until my next semester break in January. ~Jen
DC
on 5/14/05 2:29 am - Orange, MA
Good for you! I hope all goes well in DC and I'm sure you will make the best decision for yourself. DC
sheshefran
on 5/14/05 5:15 am - Danvers, MA
It's so great to get family support.
Linda D.
on 5/14/05 10:17 am - Walpole, MA
Jen, so glad your family met with Dr. Tarnoff. My mother did too, and she had the same reaction your family did. She started supporting my decision after that. Think long and hard about surgery and I am sure you will come up with the best solution for you. Last time we spoke, you were attending the medical loss program at NEMC. How did that go? Good luck with the internship. Enjoy D.C. It's a marvelous place!
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/05 11:30 pm - MA
The medical program went well (I've lost almost 60 lbs since late October) but I left the medical program around mid-March to start a behavior change group. This summer, I'm going to work with a medical weight loss group out of George Washington University Hospital. My goal is just to maintain my weight (Dr. Tarnoff just wants me not to gain) but it would be nice to lose some more too -- if I can. My BMI is still 47, so I have about 40-50 pounds to lose before I won't qualify for surgery anymore...so I'm not worried. I'm SO excited for DC! ~Jen
Luann S.
on 5/15/05 2:55 am - Randolph, MA
Good luck with your internship Jen! Working on your career and having to deal with a summer in DC (hot!) may help you gain the 10% more inspirtation you need to move foreward! In any case have a wonderful experience there! Luann
Nana Holly
on 5/15/05 3:00 am - Quincy, MA
I wish you all the luck in the world in making your decision. I can certainly understand your parent's concerns, but sounds like they are behind you now!!! . Have a wonderful internship in DC. Sounds wonderful. Keep us posted as to your decision. (((Hugs))) Holly O. Lap RNY 4/5/05 240/219/wanna be 135
~*Ellen H.
on 5/15/05 3:14 am - Western, MA
That is awesome! My parents has the same reaction after meeting with my surgeon! Isnt it amazing how these doctors can just get in a room with people and calm them down ( well the good docs anyways ) Have a blast on Capitol Hill! Are you doing your internship with a specific senator or lobbiest? Reguardless, it will be great! I was supposed to do mine in DC as well this fall, but I decided it would be too much that soon after my surgery. I wish you the best, keep us posted! Ellen
mira
on 5/18/05 11:29 am - North, MA
Hi Jen, I had my surgery this past Monday by Dr. Tarnoff. The surgery was at 9am and I left hopital at 11:30am. He is the best. Good Luck, Mira
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/05 10:36 pm - MA
Wow - that's so quick!! I'm so happy to hear that all went well. How long did it take you to feel back to normal - have you returned to work yet? I think that one of the things I'm worried about is not feeling "like myself" and getting back into my regular routine ASAP. How are you feeling now? ~Jen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views