Still smoking on surgery date?

Jenny L.
on 5/13/05 8:07 am - Boston, MA
Was anyone out there still smoking at time of surgery? Yes, smoking is bad, yes it can complicate the anesthesia, I know all of this. What I want to know is if you were able to go through the surgery while still smoking. I am going to Brigham, I think, or maybe MGH. I had PFT and my function and capacity was over 100%. I want to lose weight, I don't want to quit smoking. thanks for the input.
Rudie M.
on 5/13/05 10:34 pm - Boston, MA
Jenny, I checked out MGH, NEMC and Newton Wellesley when I was still a smoker. None of them would do the surgery unless I quit smoking for at least 6 weeks prior to the surgery date. N/W and NEMC do blood tests to check; I heard that MGH does not. I don't know about Brigham & Women's. Hope that helps. - Rudee
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/05 11:28 pm - haverhill, MA
You might want to check out Dr Randall....he does surgery at Lawrence Memorial in Medford and MGH. I vaguely remember him working with people who smoke. He still wants you to quit, but I think he might have been good to deal with.
Stella E.
on 5/14/05 5:09 am - Melrose, MA
BHW is the same way. Apparently they check the blood for nicotinic acid prior to surgery. They dont just want you to quit because of your pulmonary function. I think it has to do with the pouch as well. Stella
Jenny L.
on 5/14/05 8:11 am - Boston, MA
This is a routine test for everyone, even for people who don't smoke? I will quit if I have to, but I work a part time job 4 nights a week in a biker bar, and by the time I leave there, the lenses of my glasses are yellow, so I am pretty sure that would show up anyway. I am not in a position to quit that job right now.
slow and steady
on 5/23/05 11:17 pm - MA
HI, I dont think they ck at BWH.. They just checked my lipid profile, and my metabolic profile, as well as clotting rates. and a preg. test ( women only), However, I dont think it is a good idea to be smoking on surgery date............ I quit 6 weeks prior it was a b*(()), but worth it. You see smoking cuts off blood flow to the blood vessells and you will not heal as quickly. When you come out of surgery, your lungs are junk you are on oxygen.... The quicker you get off and up the better you will be. You will need to be doing deep breathing excercises, smoking will inhibit this... Believe me, I still crave cigarettes like crazy, but I just say I need my lungs......... See if your doc will give you some ativan ( just a few to get you through the first awful days....). I hope you do well. Theresa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views