Disneyworld fears were groundless!

lmt516
on 5/4/05 1:18 am - Brant Rock, MA
I had a wonderful time. Did you know those "lap" bars are actually supposed to touch your lap? Well this time they did, not that I had a lap before! We did a couple days at Universal Studios/Islands of adventure and I fit in all the coasters!! I had so much fun. The folks at all the restaraunts were wondeful once I explained the bypass. I was able to order from kids menu most of the time, no problem. The exception was of course buffets and the California Grille. I opted to order a full meal just for the taste of a truly gourmet meal. Here again the chef was wonderful, he actually talked to me to make sure what I could or could not eat. This was one of the best vacations I have had ever!
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/05 6:06 am - South of Boston, MA
Hiya Lisa! Glad you had a great time! I didn't so much enjoy it... but, eh... so it goes! Here's a snippet of my experience from the food perspective: 4.20.2005 (from my blog...) Disney-eating, or lack thereof! We're back! We're all alive, well, most of us survived. R.I.P. Our three betta fishes, aged 2 years. :*( The kids had fun, but they've had enough Disney for a while. I could do without it for a very long time. I found myself extremely irritated by the lack of any healthy snacking/drinking options in the parks. While like a good scout I packed my backpack with appropriate food choices, I spent a lot of time seeking *something* - *anything* - to snack on. A person can get very bored with protein bars and Crystal Light all day long. Disney offers plenty of FOOD, just nothing that is healthy! They've got contracts with McDeath for french fries, so they're abundant. Also, are Coca-Cola products. I found Minute Maid Light Lemonade in two drink stands - that was thrilling, really. It's all about popcorn, weenies, churros, fries, burgers, nachos, candy, ice cream... blah! I *did find a decent little snack-cart in the little kid section of the Magic Kingdom- near Mickey & Minnies' houses. There I found a small selection of fruit, yogur****er, juice & exactly four Atkins Advantage protein bars. Wow. ::rolls eyes:: Also, in the Animal Kingdom, in Africa, I found a fruit cart, with plastic containers of fruit salad and the like. I got a big bowl, all excited to have something *fresh* - and it was unripe melon. GACK! We didn't dine *out* very often, but when we did, I either skipped the meal entirely and had coffee while everybody else ate, shared with my husband, or ordered a kids' plate. Nothing was good enough to order again or bother with at all, for the price. I did get a cute Mickey Mouse child's plate in the Magic Kingdom - it came with sliced cold chicken breast, cheddar cheese cubes, grapes, Mickey Mouse "Goldfish" crackers, and a milk. This was "the find" of the day. I had the chicken and cheese, with plenty of leftovers and shared the rest with the actual children, oh, and with Bob who had the grapes. While on the road there and back, I ate mostly protein bars. I did attempt some local pork rinds down south. The family said they smelled like a pig-pen. :-x ___________________________ B e t h _______________________________________ when it rains it pours and opens doors and floods the floors we thought would always keep us safe and dry -train ________________________________________ HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 140 GWR- 114/151 Journal- (http://)meltingmama.blogspot.com/ Pix- (http://)community.webshots.com/user/msooyl Email- [email protected] IM- bethlbutterfly
lmt516
on 5/4/05 11:00 pm - Brant Rock, MA
I am so sorry it went bad for you. This trip was more formal dining for me because I was there for a friends wedding so we did a lot of restaraunt eating. This made it so much easier to control things. I do agree the parks are tougher if you are eating on the fly. I also brought my own drinks alot, I agree I got sick of water & diet Coke. I am writing a letter to Disney suggesting the expand their diet drink choice, Sprite Zero would be nice. Something not cola, maybe even a lemonade or flavored water. Hope to see you soon!
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/05 11:24 pm - South of Boston, MA
Lisa- I had thought about composing a letter to Disney about the food/drink situation. I know they have the big company contracts with Coca-Cola, McDeath, etc... so I know they could offer more. Coke has OTHER product lines - they could potentially offer more than the Coke, Diet Coke, Minute Maid Lemonade & Aquafina... I just think there should be options - especially if they want to have people purchase the products IN the parks and not necessarily bring stuff in... (aka me with the big bags getting searched! ) They also realize that thirsty/hungry people in the park are willing to pay way more $$$ than necessary for a bottle of water, hence the $2.50 price on a 24 oz bottle of WATER. So, why not contract with Crystal Light - sell it like BEER $5 each - they'd make a killing. B e t h _______________________________________ when it rains it pours and opens doors and floods the floors we thought would always keep us safe and dry -train ________________________________________ HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 140 GWR- 114/151 Journal- http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/ Pix- http://community.webshots.com/user/msooyl Email- [email protected] IM- bethlbutterfly
lmt516
on 5/5/05 2:02 am - Brant Rock, MA
I could not agree more. Where are the MD salads, grilled chickens or anything but fries? I wil find out the address and share it here. This might be something others can get behind. If Disney sees the HUGE(no pun) market maybe the will see the profit in it and change it up.
Carrie N.
on 5/5/05 9:59 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Lisa, I am glad you had such a great time at Disney World. I have a fear of going as well. I want to bring my kids around Columbus Day, and am hoping I han ride the rides. Carrie
lmt516
on 5/5/05 10:23 pm - Brant Rock, MA
Carrie - Good luck on your road to WLS. You will do wonderful. You should have no troubel with Disney ridesl I fit even at my haeviest 347, some were tighter than others but I could do then all. Well except the teacups, not enough room there. It was Universal where I had trouble, their seats are much tighter so this is the first time I fit - it was wonderful. Good Luck!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views