Boston Hospitals (NEMC vs. B&W, etc.)

jpasetto
on 5/3/05 3:44 am - New Bedford, MA
I have taken everyone's advice and hubby and I are going to NEMC. We have our appts next weds and are seeing the psych eval #1, medical doc, and the nutritionist. I have some questions about their program and hope someone can help. We did not go to the orientation since we went to one around here and our appts are before the next one. We will probably go to the one in May. Here are my questions: How long from when you started the program until surgery? Did you have to lose 10% of your weight? How many times do you have to go to the hospital for appts (we live some ways away)? I know that every one varies - I was just trying to get a feel for it. Also, I know that some of you have gone to Brigham and Women's and Beth Israel, what do you think of them? It seems that the NEMC program is really intense with a lot of hoops to jump through prior. Thanks Juli
Carrie N.
on 5/3/05 8:13 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Julianna, I am from NH, and there are several hospitals here that do bypass surgery, but all of them want you to put on a little dog and pony show before you can even meet a surgeon. All pre-requirements must be done to even get a consult. That is when I decided to go to Boston. Anyway, I am a Massachusetts native and believe that Boston has the best hospitals, education and medical system (and this is not really an opinion since Mass is the "smartest state in the country"). That being said, I called several hospitals in massachusetts and ultimately decided on Brigham & Women's. I know people who have gone there for other procedures and have been thrilled. I called late April, and got a consult date of May 20 with Dr. Lautz. I have completed my pre-op testing here in Manchester. They told me they would give me a date on May 20. That is fast. All I need to do there is pay the $500 program fee and meet their nutritionist. I am really impressed. And there was no pre-op weight loss requirement (although some require it). I have not had the surgery yet, so I cannot comment on that, but I am happy with the progress. It would be a year before I could see a surgeon here in Manchester. Just my opinion. Carrie
marathon M.
on 5/3/05 9:44 pm - milford, MA
I just did my surgery with dr. lautz....very happy....I am done 17 pounds from the week prior to surgery and now..I had my surgery 4/18....no complications to say and the hospital was great....I did have to go on a liquid diet prior to the surgery to help with the laproscopic surgery...I feel great..good luck...marathon momma
Stella E.
on 5/3/05 10:39 pm - Melrose, MA
Hi All- Each hospital program Doctor for that matter, has different requirements. At BWH, one of the MDs requires weight loss, the other may not. Typically, in the pre op phase there are many appointments that need to be attended and usually the orientation outlines it. Depending on the MD eval, you may have to have a sleep study but some do not require one. Many times the admin assistants will try to schedule you for as many as you can get in one day if you live far away. (just ask!) Sometimes different hospitals have different requirements..and many times, they are based on the insurance company requirements. I hesitate because some insurance companies mandate a 3 or 6 month period of supervised weight loss prior to even getting a date. Sometimes you may have your evals at one hospital but the Docs may need additional information or they may have you see their experts, so that may even delay getting a date. If you change a medication or start CPAP, that even may delay the date. So, honestly, it depends alot on your insurance companies and any pre op requirements the program has. I know that some people get a date 3-5 months and others may have to wait 8-10 months, depending on insurance requirements! Many times the wait is to help process the changes that are going to occur after surgery. Some programs require pre op education, other programs may not. Its important that you evaluate your needs and the program that will fit your needs best, not the program that will get you the first available date. Its so important that you succeed in the long run! My friend and her husband and her sister went throught the NEMC program and have nothing but great things to say about them. Yeah, the wait was a little longer but they benefitted greatly from the support and structure of the program.
lmt516
on 5/4/05 12:47 am - Brant Rock, MA
I am a NEMC WLS garduate. I am just over 5 mos out and down 98lbs. I began in March and had the surgery in November, but had some family issues which delayed me. Otherwise I wwould have been done in August. I had no trouble with insurance(Tufts), approved on the first try. I started at 347 and was told to lose about 40lbs, I did lose 26 before surgery. I was not held back because I did not make the full forty. I did have to do 6 weeks, once a week of nutitional group, but this is actually helping me now. I believe this is mandatory for all patients. The staff there is unreal, helpful & so supportive I cannot say enough to praise them. The after care I am getting now is so great. I alos live a bit outside Boston but once you learn your way around it is an easy place to access. The garage across the street is only $5.00 or $6.00 if you remember to get your ticket validated. Also try to make your appts mid day, less traffic,easy in & easy out. Good Luck!!
Caeli B.
on 5/4/05 12:47 am - Boston, MA
I chose B&W for my lap band surgery after considering all the programs in Boston. For me, the key was finding the right surgeon and I did in Dr. Vernon. Best of luck in your decision and WLS journey, Caeli 348/323/278/under 200
Linda D.
on 5/4/05 4:31 am - Walpole, MA
I had my surgery by Dr. Michael Tarnoff at NEMC 16 days ago. From start to finish, my time line was 3 months. I also had to attend the behavior change sessions, 1 per week for 6 weeks, and an exercise session. Had a consult with the psychiatrist, the director of the clinic and the dietitian before meeting the surgeon. They stress after-care as much as pre-care. There is a post-op support group the third Monday of every month. I have only attended one of these because when I first signed up in January, we had the blizzard, then another storm in February. But I plan on attending as many as I can. After surgery, they also like you to sign up for a mini-support group for 12 consecutive weeks, but I am not sure if this is mandatory. I am going to sign up for this group this week. I weighed 242 when I signed up. They told me they wouldn't hold me to the 10% rule, but I should try to lose something, or at least not gain. I ended up losing only 3 pounds. The ride in is a pain, but if you time them right, you can make your appointments between rush hours. Or, sometimes I take the commuter rail, and it's just a short walk up Kneeland St. to the hospital. I don't think you can make a better choice than NEMC. I know everyone thinks their choice is the best, and that's great because it means there are a lot of well qualified doctors out there performing this surgery, and bottom line - that's the most important thing. Good luck on your journey. Linda 239/220/?
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/05 6:15 am - South of Boston, MA
Hi Juli! (my youngest is a Juli *Juliana, though...) I'm a NEMC grad, along with my husband. We're both walking billboards for Dr. Tarnoff, I feel like I should have a shirt that says "Yes, I did lose about 160 lbs- and so did he." How long from when you started the program until surgery? *October 2003 - to APRIL 5th, 2004 & MAY 10th, 2004 Did you have to lose 10% of your weight? *Damn straight! I didn't. But, I was WARNED I had to, or I'd get cut from the surgery schedule! I think I lost like 15 lbs? Biggest part of this is realizing these people know what they're talking about - and just letting go and giving in to the process. How many times do you have to go to the hospital for appts (we live some ways away)? *This was the hardest part for me (us)... getting to Boston several times a month for months with/without children. UGH, what a PITB! But, it was worth it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat... We live on the South Shore - and getting to Boston at certain times of the day can be a real pill.... but ya gotta time it right.... Melting Mama * "Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success." D. Carnegie HW- 313+ SW- 298 CW- 140 GW- 130 (www)meltingmama.blogspot.com/
jpasetto
on 5/4/05 1:02 pm - New Bedford, MA
My name is actually Julianna too! I am so thankful that so many of you responded. I am very scared that they will say, "lose 10% (which would be 35 lbs) or you can't get it done". I understand why, but at the same time I want this done and don't want to wait to lose the weight without help. Does that make any sense?? Both Dh and I have the following appts on Weds of next week: psychiatrist medical doc nutritionist I am so excited to start this process. Anyone have any other feelings on the Boston hospitals? Juli
Kristey G.
on 5/6/05 2:18 am - Boston-ish, MA
Juli, Have you looked into Newton-Wellesley at all? Dr. Thayer at Newton-wellesley Obesity Associates is a big wig at Tufts Med School and is on some national board for obseity surgery to set standards for hospitals doing wls. Not only are the docs fantastic, but the hospital staff are specifically trained for your needs as a wls patient. Three weeks after I had my surgery I spent a week at B&W for my burn and I was wishing I was back at NW. When I got home I was unable to keep anything down so I called my surgeon. Dr. Thayer called me EVERY morning like clockwork at 8:30 to find out how I was, if I could hold anything down, gave me tips on what and how to eat. I was very impressed with him. Now I still have to go to B&W once a week for my burn, and NW is so much easier to get to! It is RIGHT off of 128/95. I think it is worth a look! Whatever your decision, good luck! Kristey
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views