5 days post op OPEN Gastric Bypass.....

LeosOfTheSun
on 5/3/05 2:14 am - Dracut, MA
hello, I am a 5 day post op who came home from the hospital on Sunday 5/1/05. I can not seem to take these liquid medications. They are just terrible. I can barley take the liquid pain med and as for the liquid stool softener there is just no way. It makes me sick and i want to , the consistancy is very thick and you can feel it traveling through your body. The only way i can explain it is.....when your out drinkng...and your taking a shot of something strong and as its going down, your stomach turns and you just know that its coming back up. Its a strong peppermint taste like Dr.Mcgillicuddys or a really strong\bad peppermint shnapps. Anyone have an ? I can not think of anything. I am also having trouble getting down the protein shakes. I was getting them down better in the hospital. My doctor told me this might happen though. Till i see him next monday i am just trying to get in as much fliuds as possible to stay hydrated. How long until i will feel more like myself? Any help and advice woud be great!!
MAURA F.
on 5/3/05 11:24 pm - WEST ROXBURY, MA
Hi Rachael, Im sorry you are having a rough time. I dont have any advice, except to hang in there and keep hydrated. I think we have the same Dr.....Dr Robinson. He just had to change my date from 6/15 to 6/22......kinda bumme dout out. Are you happy with the way he handled things? Did you meet the weight loss goal before surgery??? Im having a tough time with that. I am now drinking the Carnation Carb Conscious drinks that is in the information the nutritionist gave me. Its not bad....Im trying to get used to it. Have you tried that or did they tell you to drink something else????Please keep us informed about how you are doing. GOOD LUCK AND HANG IN THERE
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/05 11:01 pm - haverhill, MA
Hi Rachael, I had surgery with Dr Robinson three years ago. The most important thing I can tell you is to take tiny sips...even with the pain med. The bigger the sip, the more likely that your stomach will have a bad reaction. Don't forget, you have just put your system through a major change. I know the pain med and sometimes the protein drinks can taste lousy.....but keep trying. I know that I just sort of adjusted after a few weeks. With the protein shakes, the nutritionist that was there at the time, Natalie, told me not to try to do the whole 8 oz at once. Try pouring 4 oz. into a small cup and working on that. You can also try chicken bullion cubes with some powdered egg white in it....a poor imitation of egg drop soup, but it will get some fluid and protein into you....and does not have that sickening sweet taste and thick texture. Good luck...and feel free to email [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views