Liver Problems

mimisue6
on 4/24/05 7:21 am - Bluffton, SC
Has anyone heard about the potential of having liver issues in the future. I was just told by a friend that because of the roux n y our liver is really working hard. I was on Chol. med but now afraid to go back on it because I know how bad that can tax the liver. I would be curious as to what you all have heard. Suzanne
Luann S.
on 4/24/05 8:50 am - Randolph, MA
I don't think I've heard that, but I'm sure the risk can't be worse than being morbidly obese with a fatty liver, which was my situation. Luann
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 4/24/05 8:52 am - 128 Belt, MA
I hadn't heard anything-but you should discuss this with your surgeon. Remember-with anything in life --there are risks vs.rewards. You could have the surgery and there could be a side effect--or you could not have the surgery and drop dead of a heart attack. It's all how you look at it from a risk perspective! Best of luck in your journey. Joan F.
Monica B.
on 4/25/05 2:38 am - Emery, SD
I have not heard of any liver problems cropping up for WLS patients. I know that my cholesterol and other lipids dropped over 100 points just 2 months after surgery. My pcp is amazed that I a diabetic, who had a high lipid panel, who could no longer take lipid lowering medication, could have such a dramatic and benefical result so soon after this surgery. I sure would not go on any lipid lowering medications just 1 month after surgery until my pcp and surgeon looked at new lab test results. Our bodies are changing dramatically after surgery. Take it easy, follow the rules, drink your water, protein first. Good luck. I feel that any problems that might crop up could have happened without the surgery, I was so obese and unhealthy. Thankful I am for this journey. Monica
mimisue6
on 4/25/05 3:01 am - Bluffton, SC
Monica thanks, my surgeon told me i could resume my chol meds but I have thought about it and want to wait to see how my first bloods come back without them Then I will know for sure if I need them. But I will talk with him next week about liver functions and how bad they are initially,, it all scares me...
Dave_K
on 4/29/05 1:00 am - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
Hi Suzanne My blood work revealed that I had some high SGPT (Serum Glutamic Pyruvic Transaminase also known as ALT) levels both before and after my WLS. High SGPT levels are indicative of some liver problems particularly a fatty liver if you're obese (aren't we/weren't we all??!!!) Recently my Primary Care Physician indicated that my liver blood tests now are in the normal range and are close to ideal. In my case obesity strained my liver, the low caloric intake and general metabolic stress post-op caused my liver to work over time and eventually my liver slimmed down and everything normalized over time. Here's a link to a related study abstract held by the National Institure For Health: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2877956&dopt=Abstract
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views