First vacation post-op

lmt516
on 4/16/05 4:45 am - Brant Rock, MA
I am so nervous, wee are heaidng to Disneyworld Thursday. I am so anxious about gaining weight or even about being able to eat. How did you handle your first vacation? I am 90lbs down - 5 months out. Total is 116
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 4/16/05 10:40 am - 128 Belt, MA
Lisa, Can't fully comment on the vacation except to have a ball. I find now that the weather has gotten better and we are out and about much more that I need to be more prepared for my food choices. I had purchased some EAS bars--there are many brands out there. I find these very helpful for when I know I'm away from home and don't want to mess up. I always keep one packed in my purse. I find the bars to be not too bad--clearly not a a candy bar--but not distasteful either. I also find they fill me up for several hours. Have a great time away--Take lots of pictures! Joan F
lmt516
on 4/16/05 11:22 am - Brant Rock, MA
Hadn't really though about carrying some bars or maybe even drinks with me. Good idea. I have plenty of room in the carry on. It is amazing how much room you have in a suitcase when your clothes go from 28W/3X to 18 and L!
Luann S.
on 4/17/05 2:03 am - Randolph, MA
I will be going on my first post-op vacation also, in May, a cruise. Someone told me a horrible story about a friend who went on a cruise after surgery, ate like crazy and ruptured her staples!!!!! YUK!!!!!! I have no intention of eating like that! By now you must have some sense of what agrees with you and what doesn't. I plan to bring some CIB as still like to have some kind of shake in the morning. The bars sound like a good suggestion too. I plan to keep these things in mind when I eat: Did it ever make me dump, vomit or feel unwell? Skip that item Have I had it since surgery? If not, fear of the unknown is too strong! Keep the serving size small. Don't rush! I have trouble talking and eating at the same time, as I tend to rush and not pay attention when I am talking. I plan to be sitting down at a table when I eat, continue with the no food and fluids at the same time rule and chew, chew, chew! Try to make eating a solo activity on your vacation. There is so much to do and see, you might be inclined to eat on the run, but try to set aside the time to give it the attention it deserves! Have a wonderful time and report back to us when you return, especially any helpful vacation hints! Luann LapRNY 9/14/05 -76lbs
lmt516
on 4/18/05 12:50 am - Brant Rock, MA
I plan on stopping at local market and picking up some skim milk and CIB, that will make my day start off right at least. I bought my MetRx bars yesterday. I also mapped our resort so I can still fit in a run. Good practice for the January 1/2 Marathon. I have been lucky, no dumping and very little vomiting. So I can easily avoid the things that set me off like sausage of any kind and anything with cream or milk. I will give a report when I return, I know alot of us are gonna face this over the summer.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views