For instance, ... " />

MGH Weight Center

Sally P.
on 4/14/05 11:51 am - Derry, NH
I have a question for anyone who has been through the MGH Weight Center and had RNY at MGH... Is there a list of requirements of what you need to do before they consider you "ready" for the procedure and do they inform you at the outset> For instance, I have my first appointment next Wednesday 20th and is four hours long. I believe I see psychologist, nutritionist, and I think maybe an internal medicine doc. Can anyone tell me what is step 2 or even step 3 after that for this particular clinic? I know that there are meetings or support groups to attend which I assume are understandably required. Do they not send letter to insurance requesting approval until you are done with all requirements? At what point do they schedule surgery? after all requirements by patient are fulfilled and insurance has confirmed approval. Any help is greatly appreciated.
az
on 4/16/05 10:30 am - MA
Hi Sally. I am going to the MGH center and can share my experience so far. The first appointment you see the folks you mentioned above. They also had me arrive fasting and drew a ton of lab work. I was also scheduled for a gall bladder ultrasound appointment. Guess they like to know if you have gallstones and if so will take the gall bladder out at the time of surgery. They schedule you for a follow up appointment in about 3-4 weeks with the internal medicine doc and he will share the team's decision about whether they feel you are a canadidate for WLS. At that appointment they gave me a surgery date (about 3 months out depending on the doctor you chose). They will give you a schedule of informational meetings about the surgery. You have to attend one before being eligible for the surgery. You will meet with the doctors and other patients waiting for surgery and they also have people there that have had the surgery to talk about their experience. It was very helpful. Then you wait for your date. About 4 weeks prior they will call with a bunch of pre-op appts you need. That is where I am right now. Pre-op stuff next week. Surgery is 5/10. Will be happy to share my experience as I go through it if you like.
Julie H.
on 4/16/05 10:31 am - Georgetown, MA
Hi Sally, After you intial meeting. The team of doctors and nutrionist you met with will have a meeting and decide if you are a candidate for surgery. After that, they will notify you by either mail or phone that they will be sending you a list of upcoming pre-surgical appointments. When you meet with the surgeon again, they will give you a date before you leave the Weight Center, then they will send out all the appropriate information needed to your insurance compay. From that point on it is just a waiting game with an approval from your insurance company. You will be expected to attend all the appointments they schedule for you and the lifestyle classes pre-surgery as well as the ones they will set up for you at about three months post op. If you post this same question to the group there will be someone that has gone through this stuff recently and what I told you may have changed. I am 19 months out now and I am sure some procedures have been changed by now. aLL THE BEST Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views