Insurances starting to deny WLS!!!

Sally P.
on 3/26/05 2:40 am - Derry, NH
I live in NH and on my local news last night they were showing that some insurances in this area are starting to NOT approve WLS and the reasons were that they say it is not necessary. They were showing Portsmouth Hospital in particular and they did have an M.D. speaking and saying that this was denying the morbidly obese patients access to treatment that could literally save their lives. This does concern me greatly as I am just beginning my "journey". I have Harvard Pilgrim and will probably have my surgery at Mass General. I have gotten postiive feedback on this forum about that insurance. Since MGH has informed me it may be months before I even get to see a surgeon which displeases me greatly, I just hope by then Harvard Pilgrim has not joined the ranks of the insurance companies that are now denying this surgery.
MAURA F.
on 3/26/05 3:04 am - WEST ROXBURY, MA
I have Harvard Pilgrim too. I was denied at first due to not all my info being send in, but once it was I was approved within a week or so. I am happy with them and with my choice in Hospitals, Brigham and Womens. Good Luck !
Caeli B.
on 3/26/05 3:25 am - Boston, MA
If you are truly concerned about HP denying coverage by the time you are ready for surgery, you may want to look into hospitals that have shorter waiting times. Just a thought.| Caeli
Julie H.
on 3/28/05 5:33 am - Georgetown, MA
Sally this seems to happen every few months. But as long as the weight center sends in all the correct paperwork, letters, forms, etc., you should be fine. The MGH Weight Center has been in business for 5 years and they know what they are doing. Switching around and trying to find someplace quicker really isn't the greatest idea. They have years of experianced and reputable surgeons on staff there. Be patient. If a hospital or weight center is rushing you through, then they can't be that great at what they do. You need aftercare too. The physological part is just as important as the physical part. I have met many people that went through the surgery steps too quickly and they are not successes at the weight loss. Julie Hopkins
karenm
on 3/29/05 10:21 am - west yarmouth, MA
I also have Harvard Pilgrim and was denied first because they didn't have the paperwork from the doctor but then within 3 days I got an acceptance letter. I also had surgery with Dr Lautz at Bringham and Womens in Boston and after attending the information session I got an appointment with the doctor a week after and my surgery was scheduled 3 months from my meeting with the doctor! Eileen at Dr Lautz is excellent with dealing with Harvard Pilgrim--I reccommend Dr Lautz's office highly! I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and can't say enough good things about the hospital!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views