ER?!?!

~*Ellen H.
on 3/22/05 10:55 pm - Western, MA
Ok, So last night i wound up in a local emergency room. I was having the worst pain I have ever had in my upper abdomen. Turns out, the ER doc thinks I have gallstones! I bearly know what that is...if it werent for this board and my hearing that some people have their gallblader out at the time of RYN I would have been WAY more upset. Well, today I was working the phones talking to all my doctors and trying to set up an ultrasound. When I called my surgeon, I was informed that he doesnt gemerally do the 2 at the same time!!! And that I should come in as soon as possible so that he could remove the stones and I would be healed in time for my May 25 surgical date! I am completly freaking out! I was not prepared for this. Well, Im going to go do a little research and try and figure out what is causing me all this pain. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me....I could really use some right about now, Ellen
Monica B.
on 3/23/05 2:01 am - Emery, SD
Sorry about that Ellen. I had my gall bladder removed 35 years ago with an open procedure. Today most gall bladder surgery is done lap. Who is your surgeon? What hospital are you going to? Ask the surgeon why he can't do both at one time, so what if he won't get paid for it or the other, that is probably what the problem is all about, getting paid. What is your insurance, maybe they can be advocates for you getting both done at the same time. Hopefully the ultrasound will show if you have stones or a sick gall bladder, hang in there. Monica
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 3/23/05 4:24 am - 128 Belt, MA
Ellen, All I can tell you is that you will feel so better once the gallbladder is gone. I had mine out 8 years ago-laproscopically. After, I didn't realize that all the upset stomachs and diarreah, and pains in the belly were from the gallbladder. It's a pritty common procedure to be done lap in 2005! Best of luck! Joan F.
denise W.
on 3/23/05 6:59 am - methuen, MA
Hi ellen, Just thought I would let you know my husband had his gallblader out last year through laparoscopy and he was back to work in one week. He drives a tractor trailer!! Really no problem recovering at all either with pain or time out of work. Good luck with everything. Denise
~*Ellen H.
on 3/23/05 1:48 pm - Western, MA
Thanks everyone for your help. Monica, my surgeon is Dr Kasper, and I am having the RNY at Mercy, thats where I was last night. I wasnt able to speak directly to him because he was in surgery but his nurse told me that he doesnt generally do both at the same time because it increases the risk of infection. My pain is now under controll, but I am nervous, I cant have the untrasound done till monday because the lab is all booked till then and on top of that, I cant get in to see my surgeon till April 4, If I do have to have 2 different surgeries I dont know how Im going to fit it all in between school and work and LIFE!!! I think that if I do have to have them seperatly, I will have the gallbladder out later in the summer, I want everything to go well with my RNY. I am just going to take it one day at a time till I know something for sure, I hate uncertanty! Ok, thanks for listening to me ramble...Ellen
Lynn O.
on 3/24/05 12:56 am - Taunton, MA
Hey Ellen, Don't worry, you'll be fine. I had my gallbladder out 4 weeks prior to having gastric bypass surgery. You definitely should be healed by May 25th if your surgeon schedules the removal of your gallbladder within the next few weeks. Good luck~ Lynn
~*Ellen H.
on 3/24/05 4:13 am - Western, MA
Thank you so much, that makes me feel much better! ~Ellen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs